2022 Commonwealth Games

Timothy Spall is opening the ceremony as Barry from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Followed by Slade performing a medley of (s)hits.

It's like a mini olympics where we actually do well due to other big nations not being involved (granted we've been very good at the last 3 olympics), what's not to love.

Opening ceremony on BBC 1 tomorrow at 19:00.
I struggle to see the point of it really, it's not the Olympics and pretty meaningless.
Free holiday for the many hundreds of athletes/coaches/managers/staff maybe ?

Yesh ok, I'm a right miserable ****.

I struggle to see the point of it really, it's not the Olympics and pretty meaningless.
Free holiday for the many hundreds of athletes/coaches/managers/staff maybe ?

Yesh ok, I'm a right miserable ****.
Who'd want a free holiday in Birmingham?

Unfortunately like the 2012 Olympics it will leave no legacy. The uptake of sport after was negligible
Like at Sport City/Eastlands/Etihad Campus and surrounding area; the legacy of a games isn’t necessarily the uptake of sport, but the regeneration of an area. 20 years on we are still seeing East Manchester improving off the back of the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

West Ham got a new stadium which could see them as a probably (them or Leeds) the most investable club in the country in the coming decades.
The Olympic village is now houses 2,500 residents. There’s also a new school there.
The economic growth off the back of the games was aimed to be 11bn and has so far surpassed 14bn in a decade.
3,500 new jobs have come up in the area in the decade since the games.

The uptake of sport in disability sports increased massively after 2012.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.