2023 MLB Season

And that’s it. Oakland A’s moving to Las Vegas. First the hockey Golden Seals go to Cleveland. Then the Raiders to LA, then back, then to Vegas. The Warriors go across the bay to SF. As a kid there were four pro sports in Oakland. Now zero (save the lower league Roots for footy/soccer).

It’s so sad.
I suppose it's part of the peripatetic history of American sport, but that doesn't make it easier to swallow. From Philadelphia to Kansas to Oakland and now to Las Vegas. While the Coliseum has looked and sounded soulless for some time, nothing, to me, could be more soulless than Vegas. Feel for the fans and people of Oakland. As you say, so sad, and I reckon that makes Oakland the first major city to have been denuded of all its major teams.

I suppose it's part of the peripatetic history of American sport, but that doesn't make it easier to swallow. From Philadelphia to Kansas to Oakland and now to Las Vegas. While the Coliseum has looked and sounded soulless for some time, nothing, to me, could be more soulless than Vegas. Feel for the fans and people of Oakland. As you say, so sad, and I reckon that makes Oakland the first major city to have been denuded of all its major teams.
To be fair Las Vegans have done a great job supporting their hockey team, though they’ve also been really good since inception. I don’t believe there’s another city that has lost four pro franchises — five if you count the Raiders twice, let alone that many without replacing them. I can’t offhand think of one that’s lost three even though I guess you’d count New York maybe depending on if losing a team to another borough or New Jersey is “losing” them.

To be fair Las Vegans have done a great job supporting their hockey team, though they’ve also been really good since inception. I don’t believe there’s another city that has lost four pro franchises — five if you count the Raiders twice, let alone that many without replacing them. I can’t offhand think of one that’s lost three even though I guess you’d count New York maybe depending on if losing a team to another borough or New Jersey is “losing” them.
If we look at the history of the United States, then cities such as St.Louis and New York have lost multiple franchises, more even than Oakland, though sometimes these saw teams become defunct and sometimes migrate elsewhere. They have, of course, seen franchises stay or others replace them, so it has not had quite the same impact. What makes Oakland unique, I think, is that it has lost everything, without replacement, and what is particularly worrying about that is the speed at which it has happened. Will Oakland be on a more financially sound footing without these teams, or will the city struggle to attract investment, especially in the short term, if it is deemed a place from which to leave?

Tickets for next year's London series Mets v Phillies. Going both days, first saw Mets in San Francisco in 1984

Biggest sports contract in history.

Dude can't even pitch till 2025. Ohtani/Freeman/Betts is some top of the lineup though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.