#21 | Ferran Torres - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the quietest player we’ve had in the last decade from an attacking perspective. Rarely ever gets involved or does anything meaningful outside the box. It genuinely is like playing a man down at the moment with him in the side.

BUT

He’s young, he’s settling into a new country during a pandemic and he’s had Covid himself. He also looks to be a very tidy finisher when he gets on the end of things.

I’m not really worried about him at the moment because of these reasons and no doubt we will see a big improvement next year. He wouldn’t be the first player we’ve signed to turn in a big jump in performance going into his second season after finding his feet in the first.

Of course, I’ll be disappointed if he’s at a similar next year but he deserves that chance as the country returns to normal to show what he can really do.

Probably the quietest player we’ve had in the last decade from an attacking perspective. Rarely ever gets involved or does anything meaningful outside the box. It genuinely is like playing a man down at the moment with him in the side.

BUT

He’s young, he’s settling into a new country during a pandemic and he’s had Covid himself. He also looks to be a very tidy finisher when he gets on the end of things.

I’m not really worried about him at the moment because of these reasons and no doubt we will see a big improvement next year. He wouldn’t be the first player we’ve signed to turn in a big jump in performance going into his second season after finding his feet in the first.

Of course, I’ll be disappointed if he’s at a similar next year but he deserves that chance as the country returns to normal to show what he can really do.

I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt as you say. 10 goals and 3 assists so far this season. Not a bad first season for someone so young, in a new country with no fans in attendance - strict rules on social distancing and who has had covid. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Third best minutes per goal ratio in the squad this season behind Aguero and Gundogan (just). Ignoring Delap who has the best, purely because he's only featured in three games.

He's also only really playing as part of the "B Team" so to speak because of rotation recently. He was excellent against Palace despite that.

I'm confident he'll kick on and become a really good player for us.

He's not a winger. He's our 2nd best no.9 and if he'd played the same mins at no.9 as Jesus this season I have no doubt he'd have more goals and assists. Lets see how next year goes.

Great comparison. Mahrez was playing for Le Havre reserves at Torres' age...

Have we got 10 years to wait? No. Have we got a lot more time to wait and see if he settles? Yes

Embarrassing to see so many people judging the kid already

I don't think you understood my point. I'm trying to highlight the stark drop off in quality between the two right now which means Torres isn't even an alternative to Mahrez at the RW position. What Torres goes on to do is something we simply don't know but he was brought in to compete and be our Sane replacement and it hasn't happened so far.

The "don't judge him" brigade has become tiresome now. Nobody is writing off the guys entire career, but he doesn't get an entirely free pass because he's a kid, he's in the first team and so he is there to be judged on his performances this season and they've been crap. That doesn't mean to say he won't get better, it's rare anybody under Pep doesn't get better but if he hadn't cost £20-30 million he would be playing with the EDS every week and probably wouldn't even be getting a game there either with the likes of Palmer performing.

I feel a bit for the lad as he has been put into teams where other players have been out of form or playing in unfamiliar positions but he really has to step up and try to impose himself on games.
He needs to be more like Zinchenko in terms of attitude.

The "don't judge him" brigade has become tiresome now. Nobody is writing off the guys entire career, but he doesn't get an entirely free pass because he's a kid, he's in the first team and so he is there to be judged on his performances this season and they've been crap. That doesn't mean to say he won't get better, it's rare anybody under Pep doesn't get better but if he hadn't cost £20-30 million he would be playing with the EDS every week and probably wouldn't even be getting a game there either with the likes of Palmer performing.

Do you know what's really tiresome?

Comments like this that are obviously wrong. You could just read 2 or 3 pages back and you'd see quite a few posters literally writing off the guy's career at City. Do you think no one else can see those comments?

Also comparing a player who carried us through the CL group stages when we were suffering and scored a hattrick for Spain against Germany to any EDS player is a fucking embarrassment.

Do you know what's really tiresome?

Comments like this that are obviously wrong. You could just read 2 or 3 pages back and you'd see quite a few posters literally writing off the guy's career at City. Do you think no one else can see those comments?

Also comparing a player who carried us through the CL group stages when we were suffering and scored a hattrick for Spain against Germany to any EDS player is a fucking embarrassment.
There may be the odd outlier here and there but the ratio of people writing him off to the people claiming he shouldn't be written off heavily favours the latter. The overwhelming majority aren't writing him off, they're commenting on his performances this season in the player performances thread. you know, doing the very thing this section is for.

I think you need to re-evaluate what the word carried means, Torres did absolutely no carrying whatsoever in the group stages, what a laughably ridiculous statement to make. You do remember the group stage right? He scored a few goals in easy victories as we cruised through the group, nobody carried us through, the team barely had to get out of first gear to win it, we conceded once in the entire group stage, it could not have been anymore of a breeze yet you think he carried us?

As for him scoring for Spain, it's not in a city shirt so it's irrelevant just like any other player on international duty, good or bad. the fact you're bringing up his international form merely backs up how anonymous he's been for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.