#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he took the initiative last night and tried to make things happen. Everyone else was happy to just pass it around.

Shooting aimlessly isn't taking the initiative. We'd have scored a lot sooner if he'd been a bit happier to pass.

He's got that natural element of greediness in himself, just like Aguero. You can't do anything about it unfortunately. There is a very thin line between being selfish and taking on a leadership role. Most of the time he crosses that line and is too selfish.

I like him but at the same time I dislike him.

Aguero is a different player; he's a finisher, Mahrez confuses himself for Aguero too many times.

Drives you fucking mad 75% of the time yet can produce match winning moments the other 25%.

Honestly thought that we'd be able to mold him into more of a team player but he's not changing at this stage of his career. He is what he is and it comes down to your own personal views as to wherever you can put up with the greediness knowing that he's likely to pull something special out of the hat or if his style is detrimental to what the rest of the team are doing.
I'm still in the camp that's happy he's here, though I'd be a lot happier if his decision making vastly improved.

He didn’t really have a better option to pass to did he? In those situations where he had a shot on target.

We were already 1-0 up by the time he had his first shot on target after 70 minutes.

By then he'd had 3 off target and lost the ball in their third 4 times.

He didn’t really have a better option to pass to did he? In those situations where he had a shot on target.

he didn’t have an option to pass coz he had dribbled himself into a corner - if he’d had his head up and wasn’t so selfish he would have laid the ball off earlier to a player in a better position.
Whacking it against a players legs is as good as giving it away aimlessly.

Seriously, counting shots as a measure of how well a player has performed is nonsense

he didn’t have an option to pass coz he had dribbled himself into a corner - if he’d had his head up and wasn’t so selfish he would have laid the ball off earlier to a player in a better position.
Whacking it against a players legs is as good as giving it away aimlessly.

Seriously, counting shots as a measure of how well a player has performed is nonsense

never said he performed well. Just that he tried to make something happen.

We were already 1-0 up by the time he had his first shot on target after 70 minutes.

By then he'd had 3 off target and lost the ball in their third 4 times.

Final third is the place you can lose the ball though, even Pep has always said that. Too often we are too passive going sideways. Dribbling is a dying art and the hardest thing to do so losing the ball is bound to happen at times. Don’t get me wrong I was frustrated with his finishing the other night but he makes things happen and it’s good to see someone prepared to shoot. Overall he’s having a very decent season and he’s a great alternative in our squad. His work rate has also vastly improved since he’s been here.

If Mahrez could improve his "end product" he would be on a par with Sterling , Mahrez gets into so many promising positions with his dribbling ability if he could just improve 50% of his output he would be a 30 goals a season player , he has improved under Pep and is more aware of his team mates and responsibilities , and is now looking a snip at £60m. He is in better current form than either Bernardo or Raheem and deserves his place in the starting XI

If Mahrez could improve his "end product" he would be on a par with Sterling , Mahrez gets into so many promising positions with his dribbling ability if he could just improve 50% of his output he would be a 30 goals a season player , he has improved under Pep and is more aware of his team mates and responsibilities , and is now looking a snip at £60m. He is in better current form than either Bernardo or Raheem and deserves his place in the starting XI

The problem is that hes nearly 30. He isnt going to improve by 50%. And it's not like Sterling who was 22 and needed to improve a technique no one had ever taught him, Mahrez's problem is mental and reinforced by 20 years of playing the way he does

As for being in the starting XI, you're comparing his form to Sterlings form on the left...I'd much rather have Sterling on the right where hes a much better player than Mahrez.

Unfortunately until Sane returns, Sterling is the only person who can play on the left.

He is worth the money we paid and he is a useful member of the squad because sometimes you do need that selfish person who will just shoot when they shouldn't, but its not every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.