3 Best Christmas songs

I've always liked Wonderful Christmastime
Seems to be widely disliked along with Mull of Kintyre which obviously isn't an Xmas sing but gets classed as one by some cos it was number one at Xmas 1977

It's too hard to pick just 3! I probably have 200 or so songs on my Christmas playlist and play little else all December.

I love traditional Christmas Carols and then the golden age of Christmas songs was the era of Sinatra, Crosby, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Eddie Fisher and Doris Day. Mario Lanza also did some good Christmas recordings.

Among more modern ones, I like Wizzard, Slade and The Pogues.

I love Christmas songs - all of them. Even the chintzy ones have something to offer to me. Pretty much any song from the 1970s/80s takes me back to ZX Spectrums, tinsel, Astrowars, City kits, gaudy decorations and cellophane wrapped Quality Street, pissed up relatives, parties and the rest!

Slade, Wizzard, The Phil Spector Christmas album, Paul McCartney, Greg Lake, Mike Oldfield, Johnny Mathis, Mariah Carey, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald... so many absolute classics to choose from.

It's so difficult to pick a top 3 as it will change everyday but today, here's my favourites:

1. Jethro Tull - Ring Out Solstice Bells

I'm constantly amazed this song does not get played more often. It's an amazing song, well produced and clever. It's a joyous song telling us to appreciate the winter solstice. A bit like Gaudete by Steeleye Span, it's something very different to the other Christmas songs and utterly brilliant. A wonderful song from a superb band. This really does deserve much, much more airplay.

2. Wizzard - I wish it could be Christmas everyday

I've listened to this song since I was a kid and if you grew up in the late 70s/80s then this song just encapsulated everything wonderful about Christmas - tinsel, glitter on cards, homemade decorations and that absolute feeling of sheer excitement. As a kid you only really got presents on birthdays and Christmas and this song just summed it up. Every single kid really wishes it could be Christmas everyday.

3. Chris Rea - Driving home for Christmas

Even though I'm a Manc, my wife is a Geordie and before Christmas we drive up to Newcastle to visit her side of the family. I used to hate this song but over the years it's come to symbolise the "start" of my new families Christmas. Packing the car up, getting stuck in traffic on the M62 and then arriving in Newcastle where everyone is really excited to see us. We always have this song on for her and on the way back down to Manchester. It is a brilliant song and if you have to travel to see family at Christmas, it means a lot more. Great song!

I love Christmas songs - all of them. Even the chintzy ones have something to offer to me. Pretty much any song from the 1970s/80s takes me back to ZX Spectrums, tinsel, Astrowars, City kits, gaudy decorations and cellophane wrapped Quality Street, pissed up relatives, parties and the rest!

Slade, Wizzard, The Phil Spector Christmas album, Paul McCartney, Greg Lake, Mike Oldfield, Johnny Mathis, Mariah Carey, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald... so many absolute classics to choose from.

It's so difficult to pick a top 3 as it will change everyday but today, here's my favourites:

1. Jethro Tull - Ring Out Solstice Bells

I'm constantly amazed this song does not get played more often. It's an amazing song, well produced and clever. It's a joyous song telling us to appreciate the winter solstice. A bit like Gaudete by Steeleye Span, it's something very different to the other Christmas songs and utterly brilliant. A wonderful song from a superb band. This really does deserve much, much more airplay.

2. Wizzard - I wish it could be Christmas everyday

I've listened to this song since I was a kid and if you grew up in the late 70s/80s then this song just encapsulated everything wonderful about Christmas - tinsel, glitter on cards, homemade decorations and that absolute feeling of sheer excitement. As a kid you only really got presents on birthdays and Christmas and this song just summed it up. Every single kid really wishes it could be Christmas everyday.

3. Chris Rea - Driving home for Christmas

Even though I'm a Manc, my wife is a Geordie and before Christmas we drive up to Newcastle to visit her side of the family. I used to hate this song but over the years it's come to symbolise the "start" of my new families Christmas. Packing the car up, getting stuck in traffic on the M62 and then arriving in Newcastle where everyone is really excited to see us. We always have this song on for her and on the way back down to Manchester. It is a brilliant song and if you have to travel to see family at Christmas, it means a lot more. Great song!
The reason why that first one doesn't get played is because it's fucking wank mate! But hey-ho, it's all about opinions. Nothing wrong with Wizzard though. Never really been keen on the Chris Rea song and already heard the fucking thing twice this morning! Better than that Jethro Tull effort though.

Difficult to pick a top 3 as there's plenty of crackers that have been mentioned in the thread

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.