3 Gold Stars on our Crest

bluemanc said:
Blue Lloyd said:
Whilst no doubt it's a great picture it's also very misleading and I've often wondered how City got away with taking it?

It's not as if we had won the League & Cup Double in the same season is it.
No it isn't misleading,we held all 3 at the same time hence the picture.

Yep thanks for stating the obvious but how many other team pictures have you ever seen taken showing silver won over two different seasons?

Just found it rather odd - always have always will.

The team picture for season 1970-71 has the League Cup & ECWC together (rightfully so) as we won them in the same season. The above just seems a little strange to me.

Blue Lloyd said:
bluemanc said:

Yep thanks for stating the obvious but how many other team pictures have you ever seen taken showing silver won over two different seasons?

The team picture for season 1970-71 has the League Cup & ECWC together (rightfully so) as we won them in the same season. The above just seems a little strange to me.
We have different ideas of what strange is then,i'd find it strange not to have a picture of something no club in English football had ever achieved.

bluemanc said:
Blue Lloyd said:
Whilst no doubt it's a great picture it's also very misleading and I've often wondered how City got away with taking it?

It's not as if we had won the League & Cup Double in the same season is it.
How did we? Don't know exactly when we won the Charity Shield, but we won the league in '67-'68 (the season finishing in May, before the cup final). We won the F.A. Cup in May '69, after we had presumably handed back the championship trophy to the league champions of '68-'69. Therefore, we can't have been the holders of both at the same time; could we?

bluemanc said:
Blue Lloyd said:

We have different ideas of what strange is then,i'd find it strange not to have a picture of something no club in English football had ever achieved.

You totally clueless muppet!

Look at Liverpool as one example in the 60's.

Won the title and then the following year won the FA Cup (Against Leeds).

Biggsy1 said:
It stands for the 3 bum holes that Ian bishop filled before leaving the club!

Possibly. Oh alright, he should have been dragged into the North Stand and given a mullet, no, make that the Kippax, Platt Lane end, that's where the hairdressers used to sit. He did mince about at times, but I can forgive him that, he was one of the better, brighter moments we had then. Fortunately his solicitor doesn't come on here, so you can say anything you want about him.;) arse I can't do those smiley face things

bollocks to the stars...
....but proper Mancs should know that the 3 stripes in the shield symbolise the 3 ancient rivers which run thru Manchester, the Irwell, the Irk and the Medlock, unlike Manyoo's badge, which portrays a symbol of 'evil'. The ship symbolises the importing of 'king' cotton in the 18th century from the americas, with which the city forefathers built Manchester's industrial wealth, note: the cotton was harvested by slaves...

the recent addition of the gold livery.... dunno.!!! maybe the corporate suits at Eastlands can answer that 1 ?

The most sensible and coherent explanation that I have heard for the three stars, and though this was just after the badge appeared, I suspect it was something the designers thought up after they'd put the stars there, was that it was taken from and meant to represent the European flag, the ring of stars on a blue background. But the stars are in line not on an arc, and the bird is pure make believe. So the stars were probably just put there because they wanted to put something there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.