3 weeks of travelling - where would you go?

Southbanken

Ok so I am planning on doing a bit of an extended holiday in Jan 2017.

It will be me and the GF, combined budget of circa £5k for flights and accommodation. Could stretch that by a bit if required. We are mid 30s so don't want to slum it too much.

Want to see something of the world, some culture, natural, historical wonders and those kind of things but we like cities as well. I have already done lots of Europe through work. I have always wanted to go whale watching so if we can fit that in it would be great.

GF likes the idea of Japan but not so keen on the U.S.A. I like the thought of Asia too but also New Zealand - could we do them both? Also if the Ashes is on in 17 in Aus then could we cram tah in too.

The world is literally your oyster - so my question is, if you were me - where would you go?

Japan again without doubt .... but don't just do Tokyo/Kyoto .... the usual places (great as both are) Get up to the north island, Hokkaido .... wild and mountainous ... Sapporro is a cool city up there .... then go south, Hiroshima is lovely now .... Miya-jima and further south gets sub tropical ... The language and writing on signs even is challenging once outside the tourist places, but worth facing ...

As for the USA .... if you want it, it has it .... bustling cities, beach resorts, wilderness, deserts, mountains ... sure to find someplace there that suits ...

I went off the usual tourist routes of the USA when I visited Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee & Oklahoma.

Some great scenery and some fascinating places to visit.

Getting up each day and 'just seeing where I ended up' was great.

Got to see places I never thought I'd visit such as Branson, Missouri with it's great 1880s themed theme park Silver Dollar City, got to see The Osmonds & Andy Williams in concert, viewed the wonderful Ozarks, visited a couple of eerie Civil War battlefields (being there at twilight just as the fireflies started to glow and rise near the mass graves was particularly spooky for someone who'd never seen one before!), got to see Elvis's Gracelands, saw Alison Krauss & Union Station at the Grand Ole Oprey in Nashville as well as trips to Memphis, Tennessee as well as Tulsa, Oklahoma .... well I was closer than 24 hours away so why not???

Everyone was really welcoming and 'loved' the English accent whilst being fascinated as to why I had decided to visit those places off the usual tourist routes.

Spent about £2.5/£3K for six weeks including flights, accomodation, food, entrance fees for the various attractions, car hire & fuel and didn't scrimp at all.

There is a hell of a lot of USA to see outside of NY, LA & Florida ..... well worth a look!!

Last edited:
Japan is very expensive I believe.
South East Asia would be fun. Just dont watch No Escape before you go...

I would suggest that you base yourself in Kuala Lumpur, from there you can get cheap flights to many cities and islands so you can do both the he tic city stuff ir chill out on a nice beach. PM me if you want more info.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.