3rd most famous goal

You could easily compile a list of the top twenty famous goals both scored and conceded by us. But sometimes the most important goals are the ones that happen in matches that don't mean a lot in themselves but have tremendous consequences for the outcomes at the nd of the season.
Three have already been mentioned this thread
Tommy Booth's goal against Peterborough in 81 cup run, although you could say the same about Paul Power' equaliser against Everton
Kolarov's goal against Sunderland in 2012 which gained us a point in game we should have probably lost.
David Silva's against Hull in 2014 when he decided that he was going to everything he could to make sure we won that game after Vinnie got sent off. Though special mentions need to go to Javi Garcia and Martin Demechelis for their Dias and Stones like performances.
The others that spring to mind are;
Jim Tolmie and Kenny Clements against Sheffield United in April 1985, we desperately needed to win to keep in the promotion race but were bloody awful all game. But in the last minutes we managed to score two almost identical goals from the right hand side of the penalty area to give us the win.
Samir Nasri's goal against Sunderland in April 2014 which trickled over the line after Manone only half stopped it to save a point in another game where we weren't at our best.
Finally Sterling's goal against Southampton in 2017 which kept the winning streak going in a game that was probably destined to be a draw. One of those cliche games where Champions find a way to win.

mid 50's now and that is probably the start of my memory going, Charlton. Dont know why i put county.
That was a great goal against Charlton. Smashed it.

Funnily enough,..with your memory playing tricks on you....Phillips did score against Notts county,earlier that same season,at Maine road. just looked it up ; )

Kompany v Leicester
Tuart overhead kick
One that isn’t famous anymore but was for a very long time, was an Eric Brook goal scored from the sideline that went into the far top corner (and apparently he meant it!)

Yaya v Manyoo FA cup semi final 2011. That was the day the tide turned. Plus actually being there made it better than others I seen on TV.

I was there but even better, a mate who also comes on here took my programme to the fashion show the day after and got it signed by Yaya. It is now one of my prized possessions.

Thank you AustinBlue, if you are reading this. I`ll keep this till the day I die, then the wife will throw it in the bin with the rest of my stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.