4-3-3

I also agree 4-2-3-1 is a very good formation. However the new Barca team here have already made it clear they want 4-3-3 in place next Season. Thats why Bale is such a good idea................

Akira said:
Master_Tactician said:
I mean does he have experience with 4-3-3?
I think 4-3-3 is not a hard formation to understand, unlike some of those played in Italy. In fact, I believing being able to utilize a formation like 4-3-3 should be some of the prerequisites of a top flight manager.

4-3-3 is a derivative from 4-2-3-1.
4-2-3-1 is a derivative from 4-4-1-1.
4-4-1-1 is a derivative from 4-4-2.

You're right. It's fluidity that matters rather than lumping players with a set system. All players should be comfortable on the ball and be able to pass it to an unmarked colleague. They should be able to carry the ball forward and they should all be able to track back and block opponents when they have the ball. The Barca way. The only numerical formation I would go for is the four at the back, as you indicate. This is ideal for the English game, the other six outfield players being tinkered with in view of the opponents on the day.

I reckon our formations for next season will both be 4-2-3-1 & 4-3-3

Remember when we did not have a plan B - well these 2 formations will allow us that.

I agree that at the minute I favour the 4-2-3-1 as we have played that system successfully.

---------------HART---------------

Zaba----Kompany---Nastasic----Clichy

---------Paulinho----Yaya----------

---Silva-------Aguero-------Isco---

--------------Cavani--------------

I'm no cynic said:
cibaman said:
4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 are variations on a theme ie its not 4-4-2.

How about 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1?

I think there are basically two fundamentally different systems. There are variations of the narrow, packed midfield approach (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc) and then there are variations of the 4-4-2 system using wide players and stretching the play. Everything else is just variations on a theme.

City obviously use the former system, but however we notionally line up, the actual formation invariably depends on how much Yaya pushes forward.

cibaman said:
I'm no cynic said:
cibaman said:
4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 are variations on a theme ie its not 4-4-2.

How about 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1?

I think there are basically two fundamentally different systems. There are variations of the narrow, packed midfield approach (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc) and then there are variations of the 4-4-2 system using wide players and stretching the play. Everything else is just variations on a theme.

City obviously use the former system, but however we notionally line up, the actual formation invariably depends on how much Yaya pushes forward.

I don't disagree with anything you say. The point I make here and on other forums is that we can get too stuck on numerical systems whereas the only part of any numerical system that has to be perfected is the back four. It is essential that the defence can think and work as one, as a unit, and unless injury or suspension intervenes, it should stay the same week in and week out. The great Arsenal defence of the 1980's was legendary and changed little in those years and is an ideal model to follow. The six ahead of our defence doesn't have to be quite so regimented, having the scope to use individual flair to the teams advantage. If it means drifting out wide to make space or cutting inside to create or have a shot, then so be it as the opposition can't always suss what our creative players are doing.

i don't care 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, as long as not rubbish 3-5-2 experimented by Mancini early of the season.

There's four ways to score a goal...

1. Pass through them (e.g. the majority of our goals)
2. Ball over the top for someone to run onto
3. Down the wings
4. Set pieces (e.g. the only other way we score goals)

That shows our problem, we only have two methods of attack at the moment because we have too many similar players who all want to play neat little triangles and score the type of goals Barcelona are famous for. Tevez, Silva and Nasri are all too slow and predictable in terms of movement because they always choose the easy option and NEVER run in behind the opponents. I know that's not their style and that's not me slagging off those players, it's making a point that too many similar players doesn't work against a good team.

We need to add variety in terms of pace on the counter attack to stop teams swamping us in midfield and also width against teams who sit back and park the bus because it's far harder to defend against 4 styles of goals than the 2 we currently score.

There is many different variations of 4-3-3 though isn't there? To my knowledge (limited) it is one holding midfielder while the two either side have more license to stroll forward, then two wingers and one striker.

Obviously it can be tweaked to a certain extent, but what players would cover each of these positions the best?

Could have Silva off the left wing cutting in, Milner/*Potential signing of a winger* stretching the game and trying to be available as much as possible. Aguero as the main striker, even potentially dropping slightly deeper as a false 9 similar to Messi.

As for the central 3, its a much harder task. Maybe Barry holding with Yaya & Nasri either side who are allowed to stroll forward. But then the problem arises of being defensively suspect, Nasri and tracking back don't go in the same sentence.

That's just my pointless babble anyway, what would your ideas be on who to play in such a formation?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.