44 Years Ago… Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond

Remember that thundering out at Anfield in the 81 league Cup semi final, while you could a pin drop on the Kop. A 1 1 draw but we should have ripped them up for arse paper that night. Like you can't believe where the years have gone. Don't have much fondness for Bond but the two Everton FA cup games and the Ipswich semi were the highlights of that era and many years to come.
They were indeed.

Tbf I still haven't got over that perfectly good Kevin Reeves goal disallowed by Alf Grey that favoured the Dippers and was the start of their 4 consecutive League/ Milk Cup runs....

It was an exciting time 1980/early 83. I still hate Spurs and always will.

Bond was one of the champagne Charlie type manager's that seemed to be in abundance in that era. Love him or hate him he did give us an exciting season and saved us from relegation. If Steve MacKenzie's shot against Spurs when he rounded the keeper in the final had gone in instead of hitting the post, we would have won the cup. That would have made it 2-0, game over.

I’ll at least thank Bond for the turnaround in the 80/81 season and my first FA cup final which for many years looked like being my only FA cup final.
One memory of the disallowed Kevin Reeves goal in the LC semi was when he scored it, there was such a frenzied celebration in the packed out Kippax I didn’t know it had been disallowed till half time.

Could not take to John Bond. Disliked him before he came, couldn’t stand him while he was here, and disliked him after he left.
Gave us some good times tho, Tommy Hutch, Bobby Mac and Gerry…
Never had a problem with Kevin, thought he was up against it when he came, but to me, he earned his place and respect, he performed well for us.
We can’t change who we sell, who we sign, who does well and who doesn’t.. for what it’s worth he did ok in my eyes.

Bond was one of the champagne Charlie type manager's that seemed to be in abundance in that era. Love him or hate him he did give us an exciting season and saved us from relegation. If Steve MacKenzie's shot against Spurs when he rounded the keeper in the final had gone in instead of hitting the post, we would have won the cup. That would have made it 2-0, game over.
Or if Tommy Hutch hadn’t peeled away from the wall!

I’ll at least thank Bond for the turnaround in the 80/81 season and my first FA cup final which for many years looked like being my only FA cup final.
One memory of the disallowed Kevin Reeves goal in the LC semi was when he scored it, there was such a frenzied celebration in the packed out Kippax I didn’t know it had been disallowed till half time.
It was so packed and mental in the Kippax that night. The Reeves goal should have stood but for the bent ref.

Possibly the only Manager in history whose interview was shown on BBC. That interview is fucking appalling if you ever get to watch it. Swales shows up as a total I-love-me ****, the other Directors small-time lickspittles and Bond as a berk. To be honest, Bond was better than he showed in that interview, which shows how bad it was.

During the FA Cup run, following a 6–0 win over former club Norwich City, I remember the silly twat,jumped from the top of the tunnel into the player's tunnel, to offer his commiserations to son Kevin, who was playing for Norwich at the time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.