#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports saying Fodens finally going to get his long overdue England Call up. Should be straight into the starting 11 given the options England have in midfield, he’s miles better than the rest but I suspect he will be further down the pecking order initially, we know how Southgate likes to have his favourites

His time will come when Pep is gone. Looking for Aouar now and apparently he not David‘s successor. Same talk different year. It he went to Dortmund too he would‘ve
Been the same as Sancho now.

We’ve got 3 number 8’s for two positions, anybody else being looked at isn’t somebody to hamper Foden’s progress, it’s to aide the team in our roughly 60 game season that’s to be played out within 8 months. Foden cant replace silva and replace himself, we’re losing a key central attacking midfielder, unless Pep plans to change it and play with just one 8, we need another option. I imagine the people that can’t see the obvious need for an extra player in that position are the same ones that thought we could get through a season with only 3 natural centre backs last time.

As for if he had gone to Dortmund he’d be the same as Sancho, Foden is already a key player for us, Sancho is looking at at least another season in a substandard league waiting for his big money move to a mediocre team managed by a bus driver with a police battering slabhead as his captain, I think Fodens more than happy he’s not Sancho right now.

People saying he was ready for top class football at 16 & 18 is absolute bollocks. He wasn't properly physically developed at those ages. You could see in some games he struggled due to his lack of physicality. I am thinking of in particular Leicester at home when Vinny scored his goal & Spurs at home in the same season. Even though he scored what turned out to be the winning goal he was anonymous for most of that game. He is only now showing that he can cope with the physical demands.

Honestly some people on here talk utter shite.
I do understand what you say regarding not being ready physically, i dont agree ....but can see your point.
However,the two games you highlight are ones in which Foden didnt play in his natural posistion as a midfield creator..rather more of a run around headless chicken/yard dog...Pep had clearly told our phil to press like a maniac against both spurs and leicester..using the energy in his youthful legs for a role that perhaps silva gundog or kdb couldn't do.....in both games Foden was more of a water carrier than artist.he did his best,but i agree was not very effective.
This is the problem which is looming large for City.After all the waiting for his career to get off the ground Foden is having to fit in where Pep tells him to..no question that the manager has the final say in this regard...

But..from the players own perspective...and this is ths difficult bit....putting yourself in the players own mindset....when you ve played all of your short career being head and shoulders ,talent wise,above the midfield players around you...as a ball playing midfield artist.....if you are suddenly asked to run around at 100 mph pressing the opposition defence like crazy..you may just ask yoursel.is this Club/manager right for me..now,at this stage of my career.
Many on here find my views on Foden unpalatable, but i,m talking as a true football fan,who simply wants to see one of the best creative/goalscoring midfielders ive ever seen...play in centre midfield.creator, not yard dog.

For me, Phil's development is progressing well. He is 20 and has now become an important figure in the first team of one of Europe's leading clubs. There are not many 20-year-olds in world football achieving such things, especially without the physicality than can promote less gifted players to the first team at a younger age.

For those arguing he should be treated differently because he's from the academy, you're wrong in my opinion: by maintaining the highest standards, we set the bar for academy players to strive to reach the highest levels, showing what it takes to make it at an elite club. If they fall short because of ability or attitude then they may have a great career elsewhere but not with us.

For me, Phil's development is progressing well. He is 20 and has now become an important figure in the first team of one of Europe's leading clubs. There are not many 20-year-olds in world football achieving such things, especially without the physicality than can promote less gifted players to the first team at a younger age.

For those arguing he should be treated differently because he's from the academy, you're wrong in my opinion: by maintaining the highest standards, we set the bar for academy players to strive to reach the highest levels, showing what it takes to make it at an elite club. If they fall short because of ability or attitude then they may have a great career elsewhere but not with us.

Think most would just like to see him treated the same as the rest rather than differently.Be nice to see the manager start picking the team on form a little more next season.

Much more content and sensible than the moaners on here,just enjoy him

Phil Foden: “I’ve been really happy with my form. When you score and assist goals, it makes you happy about yourself, and makes you feel that you’re playing well. After coming back from lockdown, I’ve been playing higher up the pitch, on the wing more

Phil Foden: "It’s allowed me to get more goals. I’ve been enjoying the new role so far – it’s great when you can play in different positions and do well. I’m a good finisher so I’m trying to repay the manager’s faith by scoring goals.

: "I feel like my preferred position is still in midfield, but I won’t mind playing out wide next season if it happens

Phil Foden on replacing David Silva: “It was a big statement [from Pep]. To spend this last year with David has been special for me and I’ve enjoyed it, because of the club legend that he is. But it’s not as easy as just replacing a player like him.

Phil Foden: "There are several who can play in that position. Pep’s a believer that whoever trains well, he'll pick. I’ll prepare as best as I can – I’d love to be a key player, but it’s going to be difficult. I’m a squad player, so I have to earn that place.” [via
@FourFourTwo

Much more content and sensible than the moaners on here,just enjoy him

Phil Foden: “I’ve been really happy with my form. When you score and assist goals, it makes you happy about yourself, and makes you feel that you’re playing well. After coming back from lockdown, I’ve been playing higher up the pitch, on the wing more

Phil Foden: "It’s allowed me to get more goals. I’ve been enjoying the new role so far – it’s great when you can play in different positions and do well. I’m a good finisher so I’m trying to repay the manager’s faith by scoring goals.

: "I feel like my preferred position is still in midfield, but I won’t mind playing out wide next season if it happens

Phil Foden on replacing David Silva: “It was a big statement [from Pep]. To spend this last year with David has been special for me and I’ve enjoyed it, because of the club legend that he is. But it’s not as easy as just replacing a player like him.

Phil Foden: "There are several who can play in that position. Pep’s a believer that whoever trains well, he'll pick. I’ll prepare as best as I can – I’d love to be a key player, but it’s going to be difficult. I’m a squad player, so I have to earn that place.” [via
@FourFourTwo

Voice an opinion - moaners. Christ.

Had Phil not been a blue he wouldn’t be here, quite simple as that. We are lucky he is so committed to us as pre lockdown he was getting nowhere near as many minutes as potentially he should. To be man of the match in a cup final and then “dropped/rested” the next game doesn’t show hard work pays off. I love Pep but can say it how it is rather than blind loyalty.

His form was by far ahead of Bernardo last season, based on that he should be picked ahead of them, I imagine he won’t be though.

Voice an opinion - moaners. Christ.

Had Phil not been a blue he wouldn’t be here, quite simple as that. We are lucky he is so committed to us as pre lockdown he was getting nowhere near as many minutes as potentially he should. To be man of the match in a cup final and then “dropped/rested” the next game doesn’t show hard work pays off. I love Pep but can say it how it is rather than blind loyalty.

His form was by far ahead of Bernardo last season, based on that he should be picked ahead of them, I imagine he won’t be though.
Same posters moaning when he doesnt play,he has been maturing body wise,he said himself on the day we won at brighton that he was having his last growth spurt,he is now ready to move up,patience is not a virtue several of you have,he is not getting mins because he is a manc lad,he has to find his way in a team of successful super stars,he is happy,be happy for him

Looked great when he became more of a regular when the games re-started. Just wish he had been trusted a bit more for the Arsenal and Lyon games

Same posters moaning when he doesnt play,he has been maturing body wise,he said himself on the day we won at brighton that he was having his last growth spurt,he is now ready to move up,patience is not a virtue several of you have,he is not getting mins because he is a manc lad,he has to find his way in a team of successful super stars,he is happy,be happy for him
Very often you have no patience for anyone who has a different opinion to your own.you clamp down on alternative views like an employee of the club. I question everything and will continue to do so..moaner or not ; )

Looked great when he became more of a regular when the games re-started. Just wish he had been trusted a bit more for the Arsenal and Lyon games
Is it a coincidence that the games we lost post covid are the ones Phil didnt start in?

I'm not so sure. His high energy alone is a big asset, I think Pep really needs to look at making him more of a starter next season than a super sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.