47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

The kid was absolutely joyous to watch last night. Was roaming around that final third everywhere- won’t happen too much but so enjoyable to watch with that freedom and space. A couple of flicks under pressure with his back to goal that… he’s an absolute joke tbh all that can be said

okay don’t shout at me but why does Pep always publicly criticise Phil? He is very public all the time about his shortcoming in a way he isn’t with any other player

whats it about, genuine answers pls

okay don’t shout at me but why does Pep always publicly criticise Phil? He is very public all the time about his shortcoming in a way he isn’t with any other player

Probably it's because he knows how good Phil can be and is pushing him to keep improving.

At 23 Phil already has a medal collection that most players could only dream of retiring with, and is recognised as one of, if not the most gifted English player of his generation. It would be so easy for Phil to rest on his laurels and settle for being as good as he already is.

My feeling is that Pep knows he can be even more than this and is and is determined to push him to be as close to greatness as he can.

I remember when he described Phil as the most talented young player he had worked with after Phil's first start in that friendly in the US and while Pep is given to a bit of hyperbole I do think he was quite genuinely astonished by what he coud see in Phil, and holds him to higher standards than the rest.

He doesn't know what to do with him. Or how to get the best out of him

To be fair I also think Phil suffers from the fact he’s never played a different system to the City/Barcelona/Pep one. He only knows one way, and unlike Rice, Saka, Bellingham etc he’s never had to play well in a bad team or even a team that isn’t controlling the game.

That's because Southgate will have his Bellingham blinkers on.
Unless Bellingham gets injured, he'll be first on the team sheet, every time. With or without reason.

Ancelotti has moved Bellingham deeper in the last couple of months, hence why his goals have dried up. He’s now playing a box to box role so Southgate could put him in a 2 next to Rice.

Keep him humble I think

Hes 23 and he's among the best in the woodland, very easy for him to get complacent and fall off a bit

Think Mbappe has shown this, the guy is a phenom and is the most naturally talented footballer in the world, but he thinks he's bigger than his club and lazy, at 30 that's om but not in your early 20's

Phil is so talented that he could easily start thinking that he's too good to do the pressing/dirty work as he's done it all, but keeping him challenged hopefully means his levels don't drop

Don't think its to "elevate" his performances, more to maintain

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.