47000 my arse!

That's what you call an atmosphere. I was on the Kippax that day. Standing with my mates. I miss the good old days of standing where you like and not being dictated to. Also refreshing that there was no stupid stadium announcer and loud music..Just the Maine road crowd and a very passionate loyal Kippax to greet you
Indeed Stevie, made me laugh to hear city fans singing "who the f**king hell are you ?" at charlton has they ran out. Those were the days.

My late younger brother and me three rows from the front in the North Stand. Loads sat on the steps as has been mentioned. Sneaked in a bottle of vodka got in about 2:30 the place was rocking. Watched match, got pissed, ran on the pitch at the end and then went to town. Sure we went in the Cypress, but, could have been anywhere. Woke up next morning almighty hangover then read the papers. That was the first I knew about Bradford. The day before seemed so far away at that point. Bittersweet memories.

I remember that the bench seated corner between Platt Lane and the Main Stand was absolutely rammed. Whatever the official capacity of the ground was, that corner of the ground wasn't included in it, because it didn't have a safety certificate as cracks were found in the concrete under-structure. It was amply clear that too many people had been let into every part of the ground, hence every aisle down the stands was occupied. I spoke to people who went in the Platt Lane stand and they said there were at least 3 people in there for every space on the benches.

I was in the Kippax, we were 2-nil up by the time I managed to get in the ground and I had to fight my way down the centre tunnel to get within sight of the pitch. Absolutely rammed and way above what the safety licence would have allowed, and hence way above what the official capacity would have stated. I'd estimate there were 60-65 thousand in the ground that day.

It was a fantastic day, but Swales's greed (back pocket funds for him and his trusty henchmen like Mr Manchester City himself, Halford) and disregard for the supporters could easily have led to there being a disaster on both sides of the Pennines that day.

i always wonder how the hell noboby ever got killed getting out of the top of the kippax and down them stairs ? it was the worst thing ever if you was trapped on them and many times it just felt like you was flouting on water and your feet was not touching the floor

For the only time in my life I was scared to be in the Kippax.
Crushed like sardines and fencing to keep us in.

Was in the Platt Lane, people stood up all over especially at the back of the stand, also sitting in the walkways, crunched up on the wooden benches too...great memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.