5 | John Stones - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones's fitness record in international competitions is absolutely outstanding. He hasn't missed a game since the WC in 2018!

The question is why he can stay fit when it really matters for his country, but struggles to stay fit for City. Might be a coincidence. Or down to motivation. His injury record at City is appalling. Some players were signed years after Stones and have already played more games than him.

Could be coincidence

Could be that City might treat the players more carefully. Maybe sometimes when he's not playing for City, it's not that he literally couldn't, more that it's not sensible to if he wants to get fully fit first.

England wouldn't care that much, they just need you to get through a few weeks and then pass you off back to your club. Especially when you're by far the best in that position they've got available. It's not like he hasn't come back from England duty without injuries anyway.

Look at Luke Shaw, he's not played a game for half a year, then a couple of runs out and he's starting. I think a half sensible club would take a little bit longer to be make him play 90 minutes if they want to keep him fit.

Could be coincidence

Could be that City might treat the players more carefully. Maybe sometimes when he's not playing for City, it's not that he literally couldn't, more that it's not sensible to if he wants to get fully fit first.

England wouldn't care that much, they just need you to get through a few weeks and then pass you off back to your club. Especially when you're by far the best in that position they've got available. It's not like he hasn't come back from England duty without injuries anyway.

Look at Luke Shaw, he's not played a game for half a year, then a couple of runs out and he's starting. I think a half sensible club would take a little bit longer to be make him play 90 minutes if they want to keep him fit.
Plus sometimes he’s on the bench when he’s ready to play and Pep and our team look after him whereas Wasted Waistcoat didn’t. IMHO

It is frustrating that his injury record for the club is as bad as it is.

Surely our medical team are no worse than those at the England camp, so is it incredibly bad luck or are the demands placed upon him at City the cause ?

Pretty sure we carry out the best analytical analysis knowing Pep's exacting standards.
He simply can't play 2 games a week over a period of time, sad, a wonderful player when in form and healthy but he simply misses far too many games.

He is on a big contract and not been available as often as he is , is he too much of a luxury?

For England he plays as a pure centre-back in a team that only faces an opponent that wants to aggressively attack maybe 1 game in 10. He spends most of his time in most matches walking.

City face more pacy attacks and even when he's not explicitly doing his stepping into midfield routine, he covers more of the pitch because of how we like to squeeze the opposition.

Every sprint is a risk to those delicate hamstrings. We just have to use him sensibly - he can't play every match but there's no reason he can't do 1 in 2 or 1 in 3, and our defence rotates anyway. Just got to save him for when he's most needed.

He simply can't play 2 games a week over a period of time, sad, a wonderful player when in form and healthy but he simply misses far too many games.

He is on a big contract and not been available as often as he is , is he too much of a luxury?
I love him as much as anyone but his availability is poor compared with the rest of the squad. City will definitely be thinking about what the next steps are for John. We have Doyle putting in good performances for a couple seasons now and it looks like hes getting another loan move, we could comfortably sell him but I wonder if we are keeping him holding on to replace Stones next season maybe.

Good article from Moyes giving Stonesy the praise he so richly deserves. He also mentions Dias, Akanji and Laporte noting what fine tournaments they’ve had.

Perhaps he is a football genius after all !

Errrr, the person who is doing the new threads for 2024/25 you forgot John Boy!!!! He will be here next season.............. or I might cry............or even leave myself. ;-) :-)

How rude of blue mooney leaving City's best off

**frowns and glares at moderators**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.