5 Years ago today - the AGM

clp1000 said:
I was at the AGM when Joe Royle replied to a fan/shareholder with "well go and support Stockport or Bury then" ... he very quickly backtracked.

The highlight was when an elderly fan had his turn to "ask a question" and he started shouting his opinions before he was handed the microphone, nobody could hear him. When he finally got it, he carried on shouting but he pointed the Mic at the top table so still nobody heard what he had to say - hilarious.
and the elderly fan was.....drum roll........??????

Who remembers the guy who every year used to ask about when we would have a proper scoreboard in Maine Road?

Or the one where the majority didn't vote for Swales's reappointment as Chairman, and for a brief moment some fans thought he'd been ousted?

Didsbury Dave said:
Regular conversation in the pub about that time :

"We're in trouble. We could end up going down. If not this season then next"
Everyone takes worried sip of beer, Brief silence descends.

"What we need is some billionaire to buy us".
Everyone laughs ironically.

"Yeah, imagine. Buy all the best players and all that. Knock those red cunts off their perch for good"
More laughter

"Imagine that scotch prick's face? City come to Old Trafford and fucking humiliate them!"
Louder laughter

"Win the league and that. Can you imagine if City won the league? What it would feel like?"
Lots of "Yeah" and "Jesus". Everyone drifts into their imaginations for a second.

"Won't happen though, will it?"
"Course it fucking won't, we'll always be shit"
Rueful Laughter as conversation moves on.
I was working in a pub around this time and had this conversation most weekends

Didsbury Dave said:
Who remembers the guy who every year used to ask about when we would have a proper scoreboard in Maine Road?

Or the one where the majority didn't vote for Swales's reappointment as Chairman, and for a brief moment some fans thought he'd been ousted?

1993 - that's the one where I asked about the other potential buyers and Swales stubbornly sat there without saying a word. I kept saying "Answer the question" (in typical Robin Day Question Time style) and an old bloke sat near the front said "sit down! You're only a kid (I was 26!), you know nowt! What do you know about City?" One of the EB guys at the back, probably Noel Bayley, shouted "He's written 3 ****ing books about City!"

Throughout the late 80s and early 90s Noel's EB and then BTH always carried the best and most accurate record of the AGM - worth digging out the old copies to see exactly how ridiculous some of them were.

When I interviewed Mike Pickering the other week (interview can be seen in the articles section of my facebook if anyone missed it) he talked of one of the AGMs from the time when they tried to limit the questions. He said about a guy who got the mike and asked about the state of the toilets at Portsmouth! Mike said 'it was like wasting one of your 3 wishes'. The Club was falling apart and there were plenty of issues, but all that mattered was the state of the Pompey toilets!

EDIT: Meant to add that we all cheered when the vote proved we all voted him out, and then booed when someone (Bernard Halford I think) explained that Swales had won because of the volume of shares supporting him.

Didsbury Dave said:

"Yeah, imagine. Buy all the best players and all that. Knock those red cunts off their perch for good"
More laughter

"Imagine that scotch prick's face? City come to Old Trafford and fucking humiliate them!"
Louder laughter

"Win the league and that. Can you imagine if City won the league? What it would feel like?"
Lots of "Yeah" and "Jesus". Everyone drifts into their imaginations for a second.

I used to lie in bed before i went to sleep and day dream about city winning the league against Man United. I used to get all excited by the thought of seeing us lift a cup any cup, the day came last season and it felt better than i thought it would
Funny how things work out when you think about it

Didsbury Dave said:

More laughter

Louder laughter

Ah, those were the days, back in the Gardners !

Little did we know we were discussing the future hey mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.