51 years ago today - Swales became chairman

My Grandad swears to this day that Swales was ultimately a good thing for the club. He reckons he "modernised" us when he took over and only lost his mind when he became Chairman and solidified his power.
I actually don't know to be honest. Having a conversation about Swales with City fans of the generation above me (so the lads who were there and old enough to have been around a bit unlike me in short pants) is sort of like trying to have a conversation with a miner about Thatcher. The incompetence and viciousness at the end plague any ability to talk about things as a whole.
I recall somebody interviewing him post-City, it might have been @Gary James who said that for all his faults, he genuinely loved the club and desperately wanted it to succeed.
I've never read a pro-Swales detailed history and it's hard to get a true reading on things from an overwhelmingly negative opinion.

Bringing back Mal was the biggest mistake to befall the club. We never recovered from it. It was all last-ditch, hanging on, gambling on the toss of a coin stuff from thereon in.
Franny was worse. Be careful what you wish for- never a truer aphorism.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.