53 years ago today

Fantastic memories of that ECWC campaign. Too young for the final but after Tony Towers coming on and scoring the winner in extra time against Coimbra we got chips from Yew Tree Rd on the way home. I was that excited I threw up all night.
The semi final against Schalke, sitting at the back of the Platt Lane Stand with my mates is still one of my favourite memories and still my favourite City game.

The Prata Stadium back then was a basic concrete bowl with no cover apart from the main stand.

There were two packages on offer a one-day fly in and fly back after the match and a three-day trip with two nights in a hotel. We opted for the three-day option.

It had been a rather nice day and very few were dressed for a downpour. We spent some time at the nearby park and went on the big Ferris Wheel, famous for the scene in the Third Man film.

The weather was still fine for the first half of the match but it really pelted down throughout the second half and I was absolutely soaked through to the skin. I had to do a complete change of clothes at the hotel afterwards.

There were 7,968 there, mostly City fans.
You lucky b*****d, you've seen us win a European trophy. Hopefully, there'll be a few more in that elite group of blues in 6 weeks' time!

I was too young to go, aged 12 then. When I started playing open-age footie, one of my best mates was an ardent blue who went - 10 years older than me. He used to say that he'd never seen rain like it - he used to smoke and he tried lighting numerous fags without success as they just got instantly soaked, there being no cover from the rain. He came home the next day and his clothes and shoes were still wet.

Last edited:
Fantastic memories of that ECWC campaign. Too young for the final but after Tony Towers coming on and scoring the winner in extra time against Coimbra we got chips from Yew Tree Rd on the way home. I was that excited I threw up all night.
The semi final against Schalke, sitting at the back of the Platt Lane Stand with my mates is still one of my favourite memories and still my favourite City game.
The best performance of that wonderful era with an atmosphere to match.

Schalke were the top hun team at the time, managed by the national team manager Helmut Schur ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.