#8 | İlkay Gündoğan - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing movement to score two against Blackpool. I think the EDS players in the team were pretty impressed by the way they congratulated him.

His 2nd goal today reminded me of his goal against United

I think Gundogan is smart enough to be our false 9 / striker

His positioning/calmness & shooting accuracy are not bad.

I agree totally that he could do it.

But it's like Sterling, you lose what makes his movement special when you put him up front.

I agree totally that he could do it.

But it's like Sterling, you lose what makes his movement special when you put him up front.
He is like Thomas Muller in this regard.

You don't want him to play as a striker, you want him to play OFF the striker and find the pockets of space.

I am still adamant that I think Pep made a mistake when he dropped Gundogan deeper. That massive winning streak coincided with Gundogan having the "free" attacking role to find space, with Bernie playing deeper.

Then when Kevin was fit he decided to play Kevin as a false 9, that's fine, and for some reason decided Bernie should have the "free" attacking role next to KdB, rather than Gundogan.

I partially understand, because Pep loves Gundogan's control in the build-up, but that control is also very nice to have in the final third, Kdb can't do it physically (in terms of agility), and Bernie doesn't have it in his locker mentally.

His 2nd goal today reminded me of his goal against United

I think Gundogan is smart enough to be our false 9 / striker

His positioning/calmness & shooting accuracy are not bad.

Sure he could do it but it makes zero sense to play him there. He is the guy that makes us tick now. There's no David silva doing it anymore, Fernandinho isn't always on the pitch to do it but Gundogan is. he's the one that plays what seems like a simple pass or combination of them that won't get appreciated by many but are the key passes that breaks a high press and gives us the space to attack and play in the oppositions final 3rd or shifts a bus of 10 defenders enough to give a player space to do something.

I know everyone says foden was spanish daves replacement but he isn't, gundogan is the one that's stepped into that role exquisitely. He is the guy that sets our tempo, Bernardo is brilliant at beating a high press and his energy and dynamism is unmatched but he can't control games, kdb is too direct to control games, foden likewise and Grealish should he come doesn't do that either. He keeps hold of the ball for far too long to do that as shown by his famed fouled record. Other than Fernandinho, nobody in the squad can control a game like gundogan does. Can't do that from a false 9 position.

My mate Dan has a new song. What do you reckon?
Thus is to the tune of Rasputin (Boney M)

Ilkay Gundogan
City’s German Superman
He’s taking City to St Petersburg

Ilkay Gundogan
Selling Ice creams from his van
He’s taking City to St Petersburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.