#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this lampard ability, of coming late into the penalty area and be there for the lay offs or rebound like yesterday. His goal yesterday was a thing of genius. Other players would have taken 2 or 3 touches to put the ball in the net

Has this lampard ability, of coming late into the penalty area and be there for the lay offs or rebound like yesterday. His goal yesterday was a thing of genius. Other players would have taken 2 or 3 touches to put the ball in the net

Funny, yesterday was the first time I thought of Lampard and I'm surprised that I didn't think of that comparison sooner!

Honestly was hoping to move him on at end of the season, that's rather tricky right now, as he's been insane this season.

Reminiscent of Yayas insane goal scoring campaign in 13/14, however, this is just as impressive...

In a season of standouts, he is top of the list for me as the void of missing Kun’s goal input could of been huge, couldn’t happen to a nicer fella either, in the mould of Merlin that he comes to work, gets his shit done and you hear nothing else... model professional!

Reminiscent of Yayas insane goal scoring campaign in 13/14, however, this is just as impressive...

In a season of standouts, he is top of the list for me as the void of missing Kun’s goal input could of been huge, couldn’t happen to a nicer fella either, in the mould of Merlin that he comes to work, gets his shit done and you hear nothing else... model professional!
I think he’ll be our manager one day. Seriously. He is incredibly intelligent, knows the game perfectly, has worked under Pep, Klopp and Tuchel, and wants to be a coach/manager. I believe he has what it takes to be a future superstar manager. Great temperament too, and a genuinely nice guy, which immediately gives him the respect of the dressing room.

Last edited:
I think he’ll be our manager one day. Seriously. He is incredibly intelligent, knows the game perfectly, has worked under Pep, Klopp and Tuchel, and wants to be a coach/manager. I believe he has what it takes to be a future superstar manager. Great temperament too, and a genuinely nice guy, which immediately gives him the respect of the dressing room.
You could compare him to Lampard in that way too and it did not work out for Frank at Chelsea. I agree though that Ilkay seems to have the tools and experience to be a good manager.

You could compare him to Lampard in that way too and it did not work out for Frank at Chelsea. I agree though that Ilkay seems to have the tools and experience to be a good manager.
Does Lampard’s tactical knowledge compare well with Gundogan’s? Maybe I’m doing Frank a disservice but I see Gundogan as being on another level tactically when I watch him play. Actions like his first goal against Spurs are things that only Gundogan seems to spot. He was looking all around him, spotted that his marker had momentarily taken his eye off him and that there was a pocket of space he could occupy. So he darts into it and scores. It’s just one example but at times he’s been operating on an entirely different plane to everyone else in terms of doing what the team needs in every given moment.

As ever, it will be about how well he can communicate that knowledge and convince a squad of 25 to play in the way he likes. But the knowledge is unquestionably there.

Does Lampard’s tactical knowledge compare well with Gundogan’s? Maybe I’m doing Frank a disservice but I see Gundogan as being on another level tactically when I watch him play. Actions like his first goal against Spurs are things that only Gundogan seems to spot. He was looking all around him, spotted that his marker had momentarily taken his eye off him and that there was a pocket of space he could occupy. So he darts into it and scores. It’s just one example but at times he’s been operating on an entirely different plane to everyone else in terms of doing what the team needs in every given moment.

As ever, it will be about how well he can communicate that knowledge and convince a squad of 25 to play in the way he likes. But the knowledge is unquestionably there.

I think you might be doing Frank a disservice!

"It was reported by Mensa in 2009 that Lampard showed an unusually high IQ score during neurological research carried out by the Chelsea doctor, Bryan English. English stated that "Frank Lampard scored one of the highest set of marks ever recorded by the company doing the tests""

That's a quote from Frank's wiki page and was also a master of getting into intelligent positions to score goals - 193 league goals from midfield speaks for itself.

Mind you, if you had asked me who of him and Slippy Steve would be most likely to be a successful manager I would have bet the mortgage on Frank. I guess Rangers and Chelsea are very different jobs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.