#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt say I had an issue with it

I asked which manager in world football is going to play three number 10s in midfield.

Aparently its a crime that "stubborn" Pep doesn't, so there must be loads of managers who play 3 attacking midfielders together in midfield successfully.

I dont have an issue with it, and I'm aware that we have the only manager in world football who might put it on the pitch.
They aren't restricted to a number 10 type style though,all 3 have energy and bite,they are capable of attack and defence,and all three will press the opposition to death.KDB is especially adept at sitting that bit deeper,i even feel it will become his future calling.

Added to Jesus,if we can get more out of Sterling and Torres,in terms of defending from the front,then we have a very dominante,mobile,possession based and very entertaining set up.

Bernardo had a poor game but West Ham could stifle him out of space and the game knowing he was the only attacking threat and leave Gundogan and Rodri to do fuck all with their 240 odd touches between them. That's the problem when you only player one threatening, top quality player in your midfield, the opposition can mark them out of it and happily give the weaker players all of the ball.

So when other players don’t perform it’s down to the opposition, got it

Do you think that West Ham stifling our attacking players out of space may have prevented Gundogan from finding more teammates in advanced positions?

So when other players don’t perform it’s down to the opposition, got it

Do you think that West Ham stifling our attacking players out of space may have prevented Gundogan from finding more teammates in advanced positions?

no, him being the weak player doesn't make it alright for him to just sit in a 15 yard radius the pitch for the whole game holding onto the ball waiting for someone else to do something, it's on him to change his tempo, his coverage, his movement, his intensity. Once again it was half-arsed Gundogan, at least with Bernardo we've had enough strong performances to accept a game with difficult circumstances and a bit off colour, Gundogan has been like this ever since that injury.

no, him being the weak player doesn't make it alright for him to just sit in a 15 yard radius the pitch for the whole game holding onto the ball waiting for someone else to do something, it's on him to change his tempo, his coverage, his movement, his intensity. Once again it was half-arsed Gundogan, at least with Bernardo we've had enough strong performances to accept a game with difficult circumstances and a bit off colour, Gundogan has been like this ever since that injury.

I suppose without knowing what Pep is asking our players to do it’s all moot. Like I can’t believe Mahrez is carrying out his instructions perfectly but he gives some version of the same performance every game and keeps getting picked

I suppose without knowing what Pep is asking our players to do it’s all moot. Like I can’t believe Mahrez is carrying out his instructions perfectly but he gives some version of the same performance every game and keeps getting picked
well I agree Pep is a problem at the moment, both player and manager take some culpability in my book.

He was actually very good - played the most intricate passes and was let down by those receiving them in dangerous positions at times. In a midfield with an orthodox destroyer like Rice or Partey next to him, he’d excel.

Too one paced and slow yes he picks out a great pass occasionally but his overall effect is to make the team play slow slow slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.