8 | Ilkay Gundogan - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The masterclass has come from Pep really.

We use to have another midfielder sit next to Rodri like Gundogan or Bernie, but we haven't done that in many games now.

Now Pep just let's the RB sit next to Rodri pushing Gundogan up higher in his best position as a psuedo 8/10.

And he has taken to that role perfectly, almost like his goal scoring record 2 seasons ago.
He's been trying to perfect this system since the start of the season hasnt he?

First games of the season Walker played the Inverted full back role, but technically he doesnt have the passing efficiency to play there. I thought Lewis did well initially in the inverted role he will definitely excel in future, but physically he's not ready. Bernardo did well in the LB inverted role but at times the role demands that you defend againts the opposing winger and we saw againts Arsenal and Forest that he doesn't have the defensive awareness or one on one ability to play there. Stones looks excellent in the inverted role, I remember against Palace in 18 he played CDM and looked average, but he put in an amazing CDM clinic alongside Rodri, he has the passing range, can defend transitions, has the physicality, play in pockets, press resistant and positional awareness.

As mentioned its allows Gundogan and Kdb to play #8/#10 with a solid defensive block behind them.

I just wish we had got to this level earlier in the season. I think we will win all remaining epl games and retain the title.

I was surprised we didn’t do a rendition of ‘Ilkay made the scousers cry’ after his goal on Saturday.

Brilliant footballer.

Also, seems to be a very humble person.
And let's not talk about him winning the ball with a tackling and initiating the attack before KdB's goal.

He's been trying to perfect this system since the start of the season hasnt he?

First games of the season Walker played the Inverted full back role, but technically he doesnt have the passing efficiency to play there. I thought Lewis did well initially in the inverted role he will definitely excel in future, but physically he's not ready. Bernardo did well in the LB inverted role but at times the role demands that you defend againts the opposing winger and we saw againts Arsenal and Forest that he doesn't have the defensive awareness or one on one ability to play there. Stones looks excellent in the inverted role, I remember against Palace in 18 he played CDM and looked average, but he put in an amazing CDM clinic alongside Rodri, he has the passing range, can defend transitions, has the physicality, play in pockets, press resistant and positional awareness.

As mentioned its allows Gundogan and Kdb to play #8/#10 with a solid defensive block behind them.

I just wish we had got to this level earlier in the season. I think we will win all remaining epl games and retain the title.

I actually think if Pep can somehow transition Laporte to that role as well.. that would provide cover for injury.

Also it would make Laporte more happy as currently he's 2nd choice on the LCB role. Would love to keep him despite the rumors.

Apparently Gundo always leaves it to the last minute, so he can get a better deal. I doubt any of the teams he'd want to play for, could top our offer, so I'd think he could still sign a new contract.. Thats if Pep still wants him

Apparently Gundo always leaves it to the last minute, so he can get a better deal. I doubt any of the teams he'd want to play for, could top our offer, so I'd think he could still sign a new contract.. Thats if Pep still wants him
I'd imagine City will want an answer soon so they can arrange a send off etc. I reckon if Gundo could he would finish the season and make a call during the summer as to what he wants to do.

Think he's pretty obviously gone tbh, but it's been a great time whilst it lasted and I generally don't mind selling 32 year old players, and get where city are coming from not giving him the 2 years he wanted. think in the past with ferna/Yaya and others we've kept players too long so I don't mind him going now. maybe he's still boss for another year or two, but we've got to replace him at some point so May as well be pro active.

Got the feeling Gundo wants to bring his little family to a sunny city in southern Europe. It's not so much about footy or money. IMO.

Got the feeling Gundo wants to bring his little family to a sunny city in southern Europe. It's not so much about footy or money. IMO.
Been a fantastic signing for us, but like yourself I think his time at City is coming to an end. I wish him well for the future and he will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.