8 | Mateo Kovacic - 2023/24

Gomez played about 3 minutes in that game. Are we really blaming him? He makes a lot of good runs himself that get ignored as well. Even in that game against Leipzig in a short cameo, there was one. We need to start putting the responsibility on players who play week in and week out and not someone like Gomez, who virtually never plays. Speaking of which, he was good in his other cameos this season. The 3rd goal yesterday is on Walker and Ake because they were directly involved, not Kovacic, who came on for a few minutes and wasn't involved for their 3rd. Kovacic is not a starter, and Gomez is definitely not a starter, so why are they getting the blame? As I said, let's look towards some of the fan favourites, people who play all the time, not the likes of Nunes, Kovacic, or Gomez.

You've completely misread my post. I was saying Gomez ignored Haaland's run through the middle and kept the ball instead - the right thing to do when a goal ahead late on. But Haaland was fuming with him for not playing him in. And that's the issue with the mentality throughout the side. We haven't had the composure to see the past three league games through, and we've lost 6pts as a result. Against Leipzig Foden made a real point of keeping the ball and slowing things down to control possession and bag the win. That's been lacking in the previous games where we've kept the tempo and looked to create chances still rather than slow it down. There's a lack of calmness and composure when it's needed.

You've completely misread my post. I was saying Gomez ignored Haaland's run through the middle and kept the ball instead - the right thing to do when a goal ahead late on. But Haaland was fuming with him for not playing him in. And that's the issue with the mentality throughout the side. We haven't had the composure to see the past three league games through, and we've lost 6pts as a result. Against Leipzig Foden made a real point of keeping the ball and slowing things down to control possession and bag the win. That's been lacking in the previous games where we've kept the tempo and looked to create chances still rather than slow it down. There's a lack of calmness and composure when it's needed.
Sorry, yes, I see it now. I agree 100%.

will this guy come back into the picture as a starter like we started the season or will he be more like this bring him on the calm the game see out games.
well did not really work, came in vs Chelsea and yesterday only to throw away leads, not his fault but certainly did not give us any midfield stability.

kind of feels like since that very bad Arsenal game Pep lost a bit of trust in him. made him sit on the bench for the 2 hardest CL games as well.

started off well first 2-3 games, I see lot of "fits like a glove" comments from August/September but few mediocre games, his injury prone risks certainly were true as he aint staying fit for long periods, and now looks like an extended period of benchwarming coming up for him.

Pep also adamant Akanji has to play the hybrid role.

We’re missing Gundogan so much.

It’s probably a little harsh to criticise Kovacic coming back from an injury, but it is clear to see that he isn’t going to offer what Gundo offered, nor does he really offer what Bernardo can offer in the same position.

I think Kovacic could be good alongside Rodri as long as he has limited attacking responsibility, especially if Stones is back.
I agree about missing Gundo, but there are very few players who could've come in and given us what he did straight away. It even took Gundo a few years to get there.

I liked what i saw from Kovacic at the beginning of the season but injuries have stalled his progression. If we can get him, and Nunes, back and fully integrated we'll be a lot better off.

Started the season like the best buy of the year. Got injured and now looks like a shadow of the player.

He was the guy at Chelsea who never gave the ball away. In this City team seems to lose it quite a bit then lunges when he loses it.

Understand the signing but up to now I’m far from impressed and considering his injury record I wouldn’t have touch him with a barge pole

And Kovacic is a big part of that with his experience.
I doubt this judging by the what Kovacic did in both Chelsea and Spurs last goal as what I said in the last comment.

Again it is not something really an error but more like an instruction. But both times Kova left Rodri and pushed high. Strange if his role was to see the game out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.