9 | Erling Haaland - 2023/24

Rewatch last years home game if it wasn’t for the keeper Haaland would’ve had a first half hat trick, we need to find him more space to operate in, I think having wide players who don’t cut in would help, spreading the play rather than compacting it, either that or we become a counter attacking team, though that will never happen under Pep.
Remember it well, and watched it countless times. He would have done, but Cortois was there. And the best teams have the best CBs and GKs.
I agree with your other points.

Yeah, he’s only scored against Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Villa, Munich. 5 goals 5 assists in derbies. He should have had 3 against Madrid but Courtois pulled off several world class saves. Scored 5 past Leipzig.
Lets have it right I am not saying he doesn't score goals. He scored his only goal against Villa when I think Gerrard was in charge, Chelsea are a midtable team and I completely acknowledge his hat trick against United as his last good performance against a 'top team'. Since then United have been utter shit and barring 1 goal against Liverpool he only pops up with a goal against a good side when the rest of the team has already got the game won.

Yes agreed, "world class strikers" should be able to score against world class keepers
"Turning up" means scoring or assisting mate, not getting your shots saved.
There it is, the dumbest thing i'll read all morning.

By the same logic shouldn't "world class keepers" be expected to save shots from "world class strikers"?

You said he never turns up against the top teams and then provided evidence that he does turn up against the top teams, just not as much as he did in his first season. So you've just told yourself where the lie is.
He looked out of his depth last night.

Since he scored the hat trick against United 18 months ago here are the games against the top 5 sides in the league and his goal record. (22-23 was Arsenal, United, Newcastle, Liverpool) (23-24 is Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs)

Liverpool a - 0
United a - 0
Arsenal a - Scored the 3rd
Newcastle h - 0
Arsenal h - Scored the 4th
United in the FA Cup Final - 0
Arsenal a - 0
Liverpool h - He actually scored to put us in front
Spurs h - 0
Villa a - 0
Liverpool a - 0
Arsenal h - 0

Champions league against the European Elite
Bayern h - Scored the 3rd
Bayern a - Scored to kill the tie and make it 4-0 on aggregate
Madrid a - 0
Madrid h - 0
Inter - 0
Madrid a - 0
Madrid h - 0

He's scored 5 goals in 19 games against top teams. 4 of which we were already winning (3 of them we were 2 goals up before he scored)

Where is the lie?
Exactly. There is obviously a nuance around his general play, but fundamentally he needs a better goal return in these games. A goal in every game - no. A goal in more - yes.

Anyone who says otherwise I’m convinced is just afraid to question or criticise.

There is fundamentally no way he will be happy with that return - not a chance.

The movement isn't there.

The finishing, that'll go up and down, the service - not exactly terrible.

But he doesn't dart about in the box, or run in behind. He pulls far post on every attack and the keeper or defender get to it in front of him.

I don't know if it's injury, confidence or tactical but he used to always be in the right place, now he very rarely is.

There it is, the dumbest thing i'll read all morning.

By the same logic shouldn't "world class keepers" be expected to save shots from "world class strikers"?
Some shots? yes
All the shots? no
If all your shots are saved, then you, as the striker, are not world class

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.