#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pot, Kettle?

Your response was pathetic, a childish retort because someone pointed out the fact that selling our only back up striker needlessly is an incredibly stupid idea.

It's pretty typical of this thread, but it's still beyond stupid that people think that because Jesus might not be the world class starting striker to replace Aguero and score 40 a season, he should be sold, only for us to then need to immediately replace him because you need more than 1 striker in a squad.

Last edited:
Pot, Kettle?

Your response was pathetic, a childish retort because someone pointed out the fact that selling our only back up striker needlessly is an incredibly stupid idea.

It's pretty typical of this thread, but it's still beyond stupid that people think that because Jesus might not be the world class starting striker to replace Aguero and score 40 a season, he should be sold, only for us to then need to immediately replace him because you need more than 1 striker in a squad.

We've been playing without a striker for the majority of this season, and I think any question about Jesus being a genuine 'back up striker' has been answered. He's no more effective than Sterling in the 'floating' role, and lacks any real presence.

If it would help to balance the books by selling Jesus to fund Haaland, I would be happy for City do that without delay at the end of this season. As for Haaland's back up... Look no further than Liam Delap; similar style, size, and presence, already at the club and waiting on the edge of the first team squad.

We've been playing without a striker for the majority of this season, and I think any question about Jesus being a genuine 'back up striker' has been answered. He's no more effective than Sterling in the 'floating' role, and lacks any real presence.

If it would help to balance the books by selling Jesus to fund Haaland, I would be happy for City do that without delay at the end of this season. As for Haaland's back up... Look no further than Liam Delap; similar style, size, and presence, already at the club and waiting on the edge of the first team squad.
Why would you want 2 strikers playing the same way

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I think to some extent you're right, in the short to medium term Jesus is no more effective than Raz, Mahrez, or Foden.

However, I think that in terms of how we balance the squad, we keep Jesus at all costs for exactly the reasons that Domalino says. We need a back up 9, and the truth is that Jesus can and will improve over the coming seasons. So we shouldn't be throwing him away as basically we'll have to replace him, and as much as I am excited about Delap, you can't be in a position where your back up striker isn't old enough to buy a pint!

Yeah this is an important question.

Ignoring Jesus for a moment, the only benefit of having 2 strikers playing the same way is if one gets injured. Most of the time though they're going to both be fit and having 2 similar forwards leaves a real lack of variety.

Variety is really important to this City side. Having Dias, Stones, and Laporte (and even Aké) gives us lots of variety at CB. So we always have the right pairing for the right occasion. Having Walker and Cancelo at RB gives us important variety there. Rodri and Fernandinho at DM. KDB and Bernardo at AM. Mahrez, Sterling, Torres, Foden, and Bernardo on the wings. Aguero and Jesus up top. The team benefits from so much flexibility from having top class variety.

Why not? Nothing wrong with fresh legs in the same role, and there would be no need to change tactical approach. If we wanted to change the approach, we have the players to adapt to the 'false nine' for example.
We need a back up 9, and the truth is that Jesus can and will improve over the coming seasons. So we shouldn't be throwing him away as basically we'll have to replace him, and as much as I am excited about Delap, you can't be in a position where your back up striker isn't old enough to buy a pint!

But will Jesus improve over the coming seasons? He's 23 now and isn't nearly as effective / efficient as he was, and has regressed (in my opinion obviously) since he joined us 4 years ago.
Injuries have obviously taken their toll on the lad, and he quite simply isn't the same player. As I see it, while he works hard for the team, he's mostly been little more than a willing runner with the odd goal this season. If we were to receive an offer of £50/60m for him, I suspect that the club would be happy to let him go.

Liam Delap is around 12 months younger than Jesus was when he joined City - Why not give the lad a chance to prove himself next season?

By the way... Liam became old enough to buy a pint on 8th February 2021. I think it's his round when we next see him in the pub ;)

Why not? Nothing wrong with fresh legs in the same role, and there would be no need to change tactical approach. If we wanted to change the approach, we have the players to adapt to the 'false nine' for example.

But will Jesus improve over the coming seasons? He's 23 now and isn't nearly as effective / efficient as he was, and has regressed (in my opinion obviously) since he joined us 4 years ago.
Injuries have obviously taken their toll on the lad, and he quite simply isn't the same player. As I see it, while he works hard for the team, he's mostly been little more than a willing runner with the odd goal this season. If we were to receive an offer of £50/60m for him, I suspect that the club would be happy to let him go.

Liam Delap is around 12 months younger than Jesus was when he joined City - Why not give the lad a chance to prove himself next season?

By the way... Liam became old enough to buy a pint on 8th February 2021. I think it's his round when we next see him in the pub ;)

Great game - sometimes when I see glimpses of his world-class skills, don't understand why can't do
that in the rainy day at Stoke or against bigger teams / important opponents.

But I think he has already lost Starting place to Mahrez.. Pep thinks that Mahrez is a better finisher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.