A 'balanced' view on last night?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Don't know where this has come from other than my Evertonian renegade offspring, but it's a good read. Don't know whether it's already appeared today on this forum but . . . . . . . . .

I've not put it in the post-match discussion 'cos it'd get buried and it needs to stand alone!

ERSATZ ISTANBUL AHOY!

Last night, soundtracked by the sort of tumult not heard at Anfield since Jose Mourinho threw Robert Huth up front to get on the end of one last punt, Liverpool qualified for the final of the League Cup. Cue joyous scenes, predominantly in bedrooms across the country, where internet warriors gleefully logged on to goad online Liverpool supporters about how the mighty have fallen, how the League Cup is tin-pot, and how their manager shouldn't be bursting into tears over getting to Nu-Wembley when 60 other teams have done that already, before logging off and slipping under the quilt for some furious self-hatred.

Of course, meet any Liverpool fan out there in the real offline world, the type with flesh and bones and arms and legs and an identifiable name, and you'll find they've long since readjusted their expectations from the heady days of the Tom Watson era. As things stood before the match kicked off last night, had the team gone on to string together one pass in a row, a week-long carnival was in danger of breaking out. But as it transpired, Craig Bellam ... sorry, Liverpool played very well, and are now preparing for their first trip to the cathedral of football since the Cream Suits Which Actually Looked Quite Smart If You're Being Reasonable And Rational About It debacle of 1996, when they played like matter that would not look good if liquidised and sprayed onto a cream suit.

"It's not been the best times and it's a fantastic reward for the supporters that have stood by us," sobbed Kenny Dalglish. "And it's a fantastic reward for the new owners, it's their first final," he added generously, referring to the executives who were content to let an ill-equipped football man take all the flak during Suarezgate while they sat back and did eff all, before eventually showing their faces when some semi-final glory beckoned. Club captain Steven Gerrard joined in the inclusive celebrations with the following statement: "It's going to be superb for myself."

Spare a thought for Manchester City, though, who for the 438th game in a row have been on the receiving end of questionable refereeing decisions. Early in the first half, Charlie Adam, finally arriving in trademark style for a tackle he'd launched into last September, amputated both of Edin Dzeko's legs in the box. It should have been a penalty, and insult was added to insult up the other end when the ball accidentally xylophone-trilled off several of Micah Richards' bones, prompting referee Phil Dowd to risibly award Liverpool a spot kick.

"I think the ref made a poor decision," sighed Richards today. "I don't know what he expects me to do. I won't say it has cost us, but it has clearly played a massive part." A very reasonable and measured response to a setback, there. Some people – we're pointing no fingers, filling in no gaps – would do well to take notes.

Merseyside Red said:
Clearly designed in a biased way, but then that's intentional I'm sure. Fair enough.

i was at anfield last night and i agreed with every word of that.

oh and it made me laugh hearing dagleish say "it's for all the fans who've stood by during this dark period"

dark period? fucking hell if that's a dark period wtf have city been through over the last couple of decades?

ban-mcfc said:
Merseyside Red said:
Clearly designed in a biased way, but then that's intentional I'm sure. Fair enough.

i was at anfield last night and i agreed with every word of that.

oh and it made me laugh hearing dagleish say "it's for all the fans who've stood by during this dark period"

dark period? fucking hell if that's a dark period wtf have city been through over the last couple of decades?
"Dark period my arse " to paraphrase a well known Liverpudlian

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.