A breakdown of what has gone wrong (and why we’ll be back)

Gone behind in 5 of our last 7 league games at the Etihad, and it would have been 6 out of 7 had it not been for VAR against Sheffield United. Virtually the same MO every time. Burned for pace on the counterattack. That’s something that absolutely has to be addressed in the summer and personally I think we’re taking an unnecessary risk, re the certainty of a top 4 finish, by not buying a centre half with some ‘legs’ in January
I am confident with our current squad and with a hopefully fit Laporte to come back we can secure a top 4 place. But in the Summer we need a CB who has pace and no doubt a prerequisite for Pep will be a player who is confident with the ball. Who that player is am I not so sure?

Gone behind in 5 of our last 7 league games at the Etihad, and it would have been 6 out of 7 had it not been for VAR against Sheffield United. Virtually the same MO every time. Burned for pace on the counterattack. That’s something that absolutely has to be addressed in the summer and personally I think we’re taking an unnecessary risk, re the certainty of a top 4 finish, by not buying a centre half with some ‘legs’ in January
Peps method insists on possession football all the time which is impossible for 100 percent of the time.
Are we vulnerable because of our style of play or because we do not have a speedy defender?

We leak goals of the type you mention so perhaps until we can cope with speedy attackers we should become more defensive with more players covering rather than compress all play into the defensive shield most employ. We would still generate shots and still manage to score with some of them but hopefully patch our defence which actually seems to need possession more as our best form of defending.

Those players have grown and improved mentally and tactically. Take him out of that team now and in all probability they keep on rolling.
Take him out ot that team and put Laporte back in ours.We wouldn't be so far behind maybe even ahead.Laporter changes the way we defend, the way we play and the way we attack.

Good to have someone being sceptical. It's always good is someone takes on that role.I am going to disagree with you though.

I think it's clear that City are in the process of losing 3 players:

Kompany, David Silva, Fernandinho.

They were world class players but Laporte is a world class defender, and Bernardo, KDB (or Foden) is an exceptional attacking midfield.

We are creating a lot of chances, and scoring a lot of goals. We lead the expected goals chart. And that is despite City putting ourselves under pressure in games by conceding goals.

I think if Laporte returns, carrying Stones alongside him, we will be back at the level we were last season. The defensive aspect of our game is the only area of our game that is weak. Our midfield intensity has fallen - but only when David Silva is in the side. I think when Bernardo and KDB are in the midfield we are OK.
Laporte is top class, maybe it’s a bit early to say he gets in any other team in the world though. I think the Stones ship has sailed, how long can we give him to develop into a reliable top class performer week in week out ?

Defensive issues aside I think we’re significantly underperforming in comparison to the previous 2 seasons. The 3 you mentioned are gone / dropping away. Sergio’s fading bit by bit as time passes and Jesus doesn’t adequately replace him. We miss Leroy badly. Raz is chipping in with goals but he’s been running up blind alleys for weeks and weeks now, his decision making looks muddled - he looks like he needs a break. Bernardo has been a shadow of his former self this season. We’ve missed peak Zinchenko. Ederson’s form has dipped. It’s a long list man and one guy firing up the defence a bit won’t rectify all those problems.

We know we have been damaged repeatedly by forwards catching us on the counter but that did not happen last season did it? And Kompany was slow.

Laporte, Stones, Mendy and Walker were a good defence, and can be again. Perhaps they have to prove it again in the 2nd half of the season.

It would be a massive psychological blow to them.
Speculation.

We know from what happened after our FA Cup win in 2011 that winning a trophy boosts a team’s mental strength immeasurably. They’re a team full of winners now and they’re playing like it. He’s a big presence but they’re not fucking toddlers they’re European cup winners now.

For me, ignoring the obvious, the most underrated loss of the season was zinch to injury.
Without him we had a mendy that is still trying to find any kind of level he was at pre injury no.1 and angelino who is not at our level at all.

We beat united if zinchenko plays instead of angelino for example of that im sure

what puzzles me as a fan , when we play a team with quick forwards and are going to player counter attack something I did with my youth teams we just didn't push up so far , sometimes only as far the centre circle line . So the other team couldnt play over the top as there was no room. Yet City still push up to the half way line and higher leaving tons of room for the ball over the top !!

Speculation.

We know from what happened after our FA Cup win in 2011 that winning a trophy boosts a team’s mental strength immeasurably. They’re a team full of winners now and they’re playing like it. He’s a big presence but they’re not fucking toddlers they’re European cup winners now.

It is speculation but based in reality. I'm not suggesting they fall apart but they would be weaker without him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.