A Clockwork Orange

kippaxblue76 said:
TTTCITYBHOY said:
anyone ever see "i spit on your grave" ?,,bout a bird who gets gang raped by 4 guys,then goes about,,em,,getting even.Was banned,don't know if still.

Sounds similar to the Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry film) Sudden Impact, a woman is gang raped goes around killing her attackers one by one, cracking film.

As for A Clockwork Orange, watch out for the scene with the butter.

isnt that last tango in paris?

ifiwasarichfan said:
Overrated Novel and hopeless movie.

thought it was pretty good at the time, bit dated now like the wicker man(i told everyone at work to watch that and they thought i was mad once they had seen it)

Think yourself back to 1971 when you watch the film. Don't compare it to what is available now, but what was available then. You have to imagine that society was just like it is portrayed in the film. I first saw 'A Clockwork Orange' at an old-style cinema in Norwich - wooden-backed seats in the round - and it was the perfect setting. I almost expected someone to come round with ice cream at the interval.

For anyone with any hint of appreciation of classical music, the scene where Alex takes two girls back to his place, is inspired. In fact, the whole film score is quite brilliant for its time.

the film is interesting and good, but the book is much, much better. don't take it for burgess's vision of a reality that would inevitably come to be. it was a vision of reality as it might be, a vision that serves burgess's purpose... as it happened, the pampered psycopathic teenagers are a fact of life, pre-teenagers, even.... the difference is that they don't even have the culture of alex and his droogs. the violence of real life is, to me, in fact more horrible, but that's not the point. I think burgess was making a point to the establishment by having alex listen to beethoven, that, whilst having these trappings of civilisation were not the same thing as being civilised, music evokes alex's authentic base responses as well as his 'precious' sense of wonder. it's the heartless, inauthentic, cynical system, the ambitious politicians and psychologists, who try to create a version of humanity without any of these things, that are Burgess's targets. the music and art are more 'real' than what the politicians are trying to sell us. the higher parts of our minds are a fact of humanity, but so are the violent urges of young males. the noble parts of alex are just not that interesting to politicians, but.... you can make a career out of kidding people that you can make humanity perfect, editing out the parts you don't like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.