A Different Language

u2fme2 said:
i just about do English and iv'e lived
here now for 46 years

Just about? That's being a bit generous isn't it? :P

manchesterchica said:
i live in spain and speak spanish, and i really think the only way to learn the language fluently is to live in the country.

books and courses and tapes, etc, are all good for learning the basic words and basic phrases, but you get to a point with them where you can´t go much further. the content doesn´t really reflect accurately how people actually speak, either. i´ve also got the rosetta stone package and i honestly do not recommend it! like i said, with none or basic knowledge, its okay, but if you´re wanting to become fluent, it´s crap. a few weeks ago i listened back to the CDs and it´s laughable. about how to buy apples and ask for plates in a restaurant.. not really what people talk about in ´real´ life!

i moved here 2 years ago. i had a spanish A-level under my belt, had a few spanish friends, talked on chat rooms, had been on many holidays to spain, and had read SO many grammar and textbooks, thinking i was prepared, but i can honestly say that i did NOT have a clue!

if you´re looking for a change of lifestyle... spain is definitely the place! ;)

Rosetta Stone is a good way to get a good start on the language, but it has to be supplemented with other communication. I think I've learned loads using Rosetta Stone, but I wouldn't be able to have a good conversation... I would understand plenty of words, and be able to describe objects and ask questions. I think that is a good base, and talking to others on lang-8, or going to the country, would help to become more fluent.

nedums noodles said:
what about the night collage courses are they not worth a dabble?learning spanish really interests me..how different is spanish to portugese?

The 2 languages can appear similar but the pronunciation is quite different. Personally I found Spanish the easier of the two but prefer the sound of Portuguese.

Afrikaans (wife is fluent)

Spent 3 years out in SA and got books and computer software to help learn but they just didn't work for me.

The best way is just immerse yourself in the language and we had a rule out there that the wife would literally only speak Afrikaans to me for the majority of the day. Couple that to also having to do business with predominantly Afrikaans farmers and i soon picked it up. Im not fluent and i certainly cant write in the language but i can get by without having to resort to English with anyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.