A few observations from yesterday

blue ranger

As I left home to go to the match yesterday I wondered whether we would be able to notice any differences so soon. To be honest Stoke werent the best opposition but its obvious we were going to face an aerial bombardment and we handled it well.

My observations were as follows:

- Game started and Ireland looked lost out on the right side. Mancini quickly changed this moving Ireland more centrally and Petrov over to the right. Think it was a good decision
- Wouldnt say I am a big fan of Silvinho in particular but the changes in the full back areas was very noticeable. They had obviously been told not to push forward at every opportunity meaning we held our shape better when we lost the ball. Again probably a good decision.
- Being an a match of the day viewer we see Hansen criticising Zonal marking week after week. We obviously introduced this yesterday. Not sure whether its the best way but again it worked yesterday.
- Gareth Barry and De Jong totally dominated the midfield. De Jong in particular didnt tire and had an excellent 90 mins while Barry was probably MOM. Think one of the reasons was that they werent being dragged out of position covering for AWOL fullbacks.
- Agreed with the substitutions made by Mancini yesterday. As Stoke threw on their even bigger players he put Richards on to combat the aerial threat. With Hughes my opinion was we only ever got like for like substitutions.

Happy with the impact from Mancini initially and think probably more improvement than I expected after 5 days training. Who knows what the future holds but a professional performance yesterday from the team. Up the blues!!!

blue ranger said:
As I left home to go to the match yesterday I wondered whether we would be able to notice any differences so soon. To be honest Stoke werent the best opposition but its obvious we were going to face an aerial bombardment and we handled it well.

My observations were as follows:

- Game started and Ireland looked lost out on the right side. Mancini quickly changed this moving Ireland more centrally and Petrov over to the right. Think it was a good decision
- Wouldnt say I am a big fan of Silvinho in particular but the changes in the full back areas was very noticeable. They had obviously been told not to push forward at every opportunity meaning we held our shape better when we lost the ball. Again probably a good decision.
- Being an a match of the day viewer we see Hansen criticising Zonal marking week after week. We obviously introduced this yesterday. Not sure whether its the best way but again it worked yesterday.
- Gareth Barry and De Jong totally dominated the midfield. De Jong in particular didnt tire and had an excellent 90 mins while Barry was probably MOM. Think one of the reasons was that they werent being dragged out of position covering for AWOL fullbacks.
- Agreed with the substitutions made by Mancini yesterday. As Stoke threw on their even bigger players he put Richards on to combat the aerial threat. With Hughes my opinion was we only ever got like for like substitutions.

Happy with the impact from Mancini initially and think probably more improvement than I expected after 5 days training. Who knows what the future holds but a professional performance yesterday from the team. Up the blues!!!
James Beattie was thrown on in the 2nd half and moved over to Sylvinho's position and immediately caused problems in the air which mancini countered immediately with Richards sub. I liked that

Wouldn't read too much into the selection and tactics. We have so many injury problems that I don't think selection and tactics have much long term meaning.

The Zonal defending from corners was interesting. Seemed to work well yesterday. He also spotted that James Beattie was brought on to take advantage of Syvinho's lack of height and that Etherington was starting to get on top of Zabaletta. He had limited resources, but solved these problems almost immediately by bringing on Richards to take care of Etherington and moving Zab to compete with Beattie. Seemed to work a treat. Promising start by the new manager bearing in mind we had no Lescott, Onuoha, Bridge, SWP, Santa Cruz and Adebayor, and that Stoke are a handful for any defence.

A lot of pundits seem to forget that Liverpool have had one of the meanest defences in football over the past 4-5 years. Didn't Reina win several consecutive golden glove awards? That zonal marking is failing this season is more of an indictment of the personnel than the tactic itself.

I was really shocked at how much the team had changed and you missed a big point for me, much much fewer hoofs up the field from Given(seeing as distribution is one of his biggest weaknesses). I loved how we built from the back and didn't panic when the opening wasn't there we just went back and started again. If the rags put their kids out at Eastlands they are going to be torn apart by such play, the one thing Stoke to quite well(while defending)is hold their shape.

Here's a few observations of mine: 1. Don't knock yesterdays performance becasue it was 'only Stoke'. I remember the Sky pundits saying how M.H. couldn't wish for better opposition to break the sequence......... we were about to play Burnley !
Yesterday we were organised and disciplined, two things we have been missing all season. 2. Don't let people make out we were lucky, i.e. It would have been different if Tuncay had scored the first. Given only did what he is paid to do (and he does it so well !) 3. Mancinin's substitutions were tactically spot on, especially bringing Richards on and switching Zab. 4. One match doesn't make a season but I can't help but feel very positive about the result and the performance.

Agree with everyone that Mancini already looks like he knows what he's doing, the most important thing now is to settle the team, get players to understand what is required on a game by game basis and generally, stop leaking goals which made winning a game nigh on impossible, be better organised and more discipined and we saw evidence of all that yesterday and Mancini's greater tactical nous.
Another tight game needed on Monday, try not to concede stupid sloppy goals and with our attack we can we any game!
It might be not as entertaining, but City need to win a lot of games to make up for all those draws, if we had won just 3 of those we would now be 2nd !!

I was very impressed...
we were obviously far more organised...
Anyone else disgusted by MOTD's sh*t stirring, focussing on Robi's poor game rather than the other player's improvements?
I hope he can prove them wrong... (finger's crossed)..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.