A social underclass.

abu13

Team supported
Gods own
Taking the dog out for a walk last night it really made me wonder where we are going as a society. Little things that really had me shaking my head.
Bareing in mind that I was only out for about 75 minutes this is what i saw.

On three occasions i saw groups of teenagers, hoodies up hanging around the street corners, in each group there were lads with their faces covered other than their eyes.
A syringe on the pavement.
A road with broken glass all over the pavements.
Two lads on Trials bikes on the main road, no lights and no registration plates.
Lads on pushbikes on the road with no lights.
Two cars with boy racers that must have been doing closer to 60mph than the 30mph limit.
An ambulance and two police cars near the centre of Stalybridge parked up with the lights flashing looking around the railway arches for someone.

Now i understand that things like this happen and appreciate that kids now have little to do in an evening but fuck me it left me just thinking that a lot are just scum who couldn't give a fuck about anyone else.

I remember my wife who is a school teacher years ago telling me that the trouble is people with shit moral compasses are bringing up kids with their values, and in turn these kids are now bring up theirs with even less morals.

Or maybe it isn't the case and Stalybridge is just a shit hole.

Most of what you have written was the same in the 1970's when I grew up such as:

On three occasions i saw groups of teenagers, hanging around the street corners,
Two lads on bikes on the main road, no lights
An ambulance and police cars with the lights flashing looking around for someone.

It happened years ago and will in years to come.

I not sure they are just scum though, maybe just no real direction.

Everything is so negative these days, we constantly told bad news and things are going to get worse. Maybe they give up too easily or feel like there is no point.

I have an 18 year old son and a 21 year old daughter and they are doing well as are all of their mates. Jobs, college or uni so I not seeing it directly nowadays. I did when I grew up on Langley and felt it was such a waste of talent

Most of what you have written was the same in the 1970's when I grew up such as:

On three occasions i saw groups of teenagers, hanging around the street corners,
Two lads on bikes on the main road, no lights
An ambulance and police cars with the lights flashing looking around for someone.

It happened years ago and will in years to come.

I not sure they are just scum though, maybe just no real direction.

Everything is so negative these days, we constantly told bad news and things are going to get worse. Maybe they give up too easily or feel like there is no point.

I have an 18 year old son and a 21 year old daughter and they are doing well as are all of their mates. Jobs, college or uni so I not seeing it directly nowadays. I did when I grew up on Langley and felt it was such a waste of talent

I not disagreeing with you, there are plenty of good honest kids out their and parents who will ensure they follow the right path.

i am concerned about the others, the governments have a lot to answer for in the way society has devolved.

Stalybridge Tesco is a sit to behold so i am told Friday and Saturday nights. I grew up in the eighties and it was much of a sameness. Only possible difference is there were still lots of open land to be dick on instead of the main street. Lot's of local pubs too leading to some nosey **** spotting you and grassing to your dad

Ironically when I was at night school at Tameside College in the 90s doing Sociology (yeah I know) the lecturer told me the following generation would have it much tougher and they are - less community spirit, harder to own your own home, unfullfilling McJobs, social media envy etc etc
The gap between haves and have not grows ever wider.

It's all heading here apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6057734.stm

I Blame Bud. Gangs get kids into it at 12/13 years old. Then they are hooked, and part of the street culture. We need to legalise to take away from the scum pedalling to kids.

Reread your post OP

It is embarrassing you old curmudgeon!

Virtually everything you write about was the same 30/40/50 years ago.

Teenage boys looking surly on street corners have been with us since Shakespeare’s day.

Lads on bikes without lights eh?

Ooh where will it end? I bet they didn’t have bells either.

In 1665 Robert Russel wrote:

... I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such...

Plus ca change...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.