'A Taste Of Honey' - film locations around The Etihad

Mad Eyed Screamer

Watched this film (again) today and there are a few scenes filmed back in 1961 that are around the stadium area.
The film was shot mostly in Stockport and around Brindle Heath in Salford, (and Blackpool) but some scenes were shot in Bradford / Beswick and Holt Town.

Anyway - the first picture here is of the gas tank on the North Stand car park. The tall slim water tower was knocked down when the stadium was built - at one time Pepsi wanted to turn it into a can for the Commonwealth games.
Both Jo and her sailor boyfriend would be stood on the now Joe Mercer Way / North Stand car park
tasho058.jpg

The second and third picture is of the Timpson's shoe shop where Jo (Rita Tushingham) worked in. This was on Ashton New Road and is on the same site as where the Blue Moon chippy / Danny's barber shop stand (or were when I left 5 years ago!) - and are the only remaining buildings on Ashton New Road.
tasho072.jpg

The stadium is on the opposite side of the road to where the shoe shop was
tasho073.jpg

These three pictures are at the Holt Town steps on Cambrian Street - the red wreck (3rd picture) at the time is now grassed over

tasho037.jpg

This picture is where the sailor states 'I dreamt about you last night, fell out of bed twice' - lines immortalised by Morrissey in ''Reel around the fountain'' on The Smiths first album. One of many quotes stolen from the film
tasho038.jpg

tasho039.jpg

Just slightly further away - this scene was taken in Miles Platting. The big mill in the foreground with the chimney on top is instantly recognisable as Victoria Mill
tasho080.jpg

Last edited:
Some scenes where shot on coronation park in Radcliffe.
My Dads Dad got a part in the film as he was walking his dog on the park. Both him and the mutt got paid.

Nice work. Great film. Would love to see a similar analysis on the Stanley Baker manc nor classic 'he'll is a city?......I think the ending is shot on the roof of the old skin hospital on bridge street.?

Great film, love all the kitchen sink dramas from that period, particularly This Sporting Life

Film here:-

Rita Tushingham also featured in "The Leather Boys", a film about Motorcycle rockers and the magnificent "Doctor Zhivago" around this era.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.