'A Taste Of Honey' - film locations around The Etihad

I love that film so thanks to Colinbellsjockstrap for the link. I hadn't realised much of it was shot around Bradford. Always thought it was mainly Salford.

A couple of interesting snippets. The first is that the Assistant Director was Peter Yates, who was most famous for Bullitt but whose first film as Director was Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. The other snippet is that I interviewed an author called John Harding about 18 months ago. John wrote the superb biography of Billy Meredith, which had just been revised and re-published, but was in Salford to give a talk about Shelagh Delaney, who he'd also just finished a book (Sweetly Sing Delaney) about. Delaney had been denounced by the great and good of Salford originally as it was thought she portrayed a very negative image of Salford.

After we'd talked about the Meredith book John told me that the leading figure on Salford Council, Sir Sidney Hamburger (who was a leading figure in the Manchester Jewish Community and who I knew as did everybody who played some part in that community) had absolutely lambasted her over the "persistent denigration of Salford and its people ... which makes me want to vomit." Now of course she's recognised for the talent she was and there is an annual Shelagh Delaney Day in Salford.

Last edited:
I love that film so thanks to Colinbellsjockstrap for the link. I hadn't realised much of it was shot around Bradford. Always thought it was mainly Salford.

A couple of interesting snippets. The first is that the Assistant Director was Peter Yates, who was most famous for Bullitt but whose first film as Director was Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. The other snippet is that I interviewed an author called John Harding about 18 months ago. John wrote the superb biography of Billy Meredith, which had just been revised and re-published, but was in Salford to give a talk about Shelagh Delaney, who he'd also just finished a book (Sweetly Sing Delaney) about. Delaney had been denounced by the great and good of Salford originally as it was thought she portrayed a very negative image of Salford.

After we'd talked about the Meredith book John told me that the leading figure on Salford Council, Sir Sidney Hamburger (who was a leading figure in the Manchester Jewish Community and who I knew as did everybody who played some part in that community) had absolutely lambasted her over the "persistent denigration of Salford and its people ... which makes me want to vomit." Now of course she's recognised for the talent she was and there is an annual Shelagh Delaney Day in Salford.

In a similar way The Smiths were denounced too, when posing outside the Salford Lads Club because
A) they weren't from Salford
B) The club were annoyed they hadn't sought permission to use the club as a background (the club lost a court case seeking royalties)
C) The club's committee, being staunch royalists, were annoyed that the club was associated with the album's title 'The Queen Is Dead''

Now of course the club embraces the bands legacy and welcomes fans from all round the world and has a Smiths memorabilia room inside!

Back to Shelagh Delaney and she actually appears in the film! Right at the beginning when Jo is playing netball (badly) there are very quick shots of the teacher blowing her whistle. Immediately behind the teacher stands the lone figure of Delaney, in a long dark coat just standing there watching the netball game!

Hazel Blears, the former Salford MP also appears in the film as one of the street urchins in Salford

Last edited:
Back to Shelagh Delaney and she actually appears in the film! Right at the beginning when Jo is playing netball (badly) there are very quick shots of the teacher blowing her whistle. Immediately behind the teacher stands the lone figure of Delaney, in a long dark coat just standing there watching the netball game!

Hazel Blears, the former Salford MP also appears in the film as one of the street urchins in Salford

Never knew that, thanks for the info...interesting, in the same way Alfred Hitchcock had a five second cameo in some of his films, for example "the Birds"....

Little "off topic" snippit.....

One of the two small girls bouncing the ball in the very first scene in Coronation Street in November 1960 was Lyn Belcher....(Later Lyn Paul, of The New seekers)

I worked in Miles Platting in the late 80's and early 90's and used to notice the gasometers and the big tank that has now gone.

Anyway, remember seeing a scene from 'a kind of Loving ' where a bus goes up Old Mill Street towards the gasometers. The bus conductor was the actor who later played Alf Roberts in Coronation Street.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.