A UK national football team

Dr.Faustus said:
sam the drummer said:
No, it just wouldn't benefit anyone. I would however like a British team for the olympics.

That particular team I have never understood. The UK is a country and sovereign state constituted of 4 countries that individually are not sovereign states; England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland. Great Britain is merely a name for an island which contains England, Wales and Scotland, it has no constitution of its own accord and is not a sovereign state, why therefore do athletes represent an island (GB) and not a sovereign state (UK) in the olympics?

thank god i re-read that i was about to go history geek internet warrior there would have looked like a total twat trying to prove you wrong by providing evidence to back up everything you say

however i can tell you the reason why its GB not UK... it could be either look at your passport the official name of the country is 'the united kingdom of great britain, northern ireland and dependencies' (dependencies being isle of man etc)

actually thinking about it that backs up your point again... touche sir

blue jim said:
UlsterCitizen said:
Bout you Jim,
the league was based on an 8-4 South North split, it was an interesting proposal but as you say financially unviable, even Glentoran would have struggled.
Do you get to Solitude or DC often to watch a game?
Havent been to a game since I've been back actually, but the leagues just started I suppose.

I reckon an all Ireland league would work depending on the teams, but I was happy enough with the Setanta Cup, could have been better ran though. Clubs cant do much when you get about 100 people at a match these days

-- Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:06 am --

As for the all Ireland football team arguments. Personally would be in favour of it if it was done right, but neither the FAI nor the IFA could run a piss up in the brewery, both are extremely incompetent and neither would want to bow to the other, so who would run it?

Both teams do okay for their size, NI have had a good run the past few years and ROI was unlucky not to be in the world cup.

You can't use the Rugby argument, different fan base, most Irish Rugby fans I know don't like football and politics is rarely an issue. The players grew up wanting to play for Ireland as playing for your national team is the biggest thing you can do in Rugby. In football, playing in the Champions League knockouts is arguably bigger than playing in the World Cup. So the mentality of the players is very different, and they've spent their youth playing for youth teams in different associations.

I will continue to want to see both teams play their best.

I agree rugby fans are more relaxed, they don't get caught up in politics, well most of the time, and most have little time for football. But I'd disagree with the fact that playing for Ireland, or your country, is the biggest thing you can do in rugby (unless you're an All Black and if you play for them that says a lot) and it's the CL in football.
Obviously everyone wants to play for their country, but in rugby like Munster players or Leinster etc dream about winning Heineken Cups, there was a time where Munster fans were not Irish fans and had no interest, playing for Ireland is a dream but the Heineken Cup is the equilivant of the CL in many respects, most players dream of doing both, as they do for football.
BUt in a sense ya, they do have more loyalty to their clubs, and the way it works in Ireland is that in the provincial system there are 4 teams, Munster, Leinster and Ulster being the main providers for the national team, there are a few outside as well, but they have to, and I think that's how it works in most country's release the international players and especially now in a world cup year, limit the amount of games they play.

So in a way things are very different in rugby, but I think if you turned around and asked a Munster/Leinster player what was the highlight of their career, winning the Heineken Cup will be right up on that list.

mad4city said:
@ Law 74:
I think that flag, of which you speak, might be a very old emblem indeed. That is a gold harp on a field of St. Patrick's green (a green which looks blue to me, too!). I can't remember the story behind it (I think Henry VIIIand something about royal standards had something to do with it). Now... and I'm not saying this to upset you - honestly, honestly, I am not - but, if I'm right, that particular flag was ceded in 1921 by the people who look after coats of arms etc (The Heraldry, or something?) to the Irish Free State and is now used as the standard of the President of Ireland (which is why the school teacher taught me anything about it, in the first place).

Nope, different flag, the flag the ICU play under is a Blue field with a green SHAMROCK, not golden Harp (and working in Dungannon, I see plenty of Tyrone shirts nearly every day lol)

What's stopping us having England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland for the World/European Cups and A combined UK team for the olympics?

keemcfc said:
What's stopping us having England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland for the World/European Cups and A combined UK team for the olympics?

Because if we fielded a UK team for the Olympics, FIFA would see that as reason to press for an all UK team the rest of the time.

Whilst I can't say as I'd like to see it, we are the only political country in the world that is allowed more than one team, and I don't think that it's right.

That said, no self respecting Scot or Welshmen would support a UK team anyway and just about the only interest outside England would come from half of Glasgow and half of Northern Ireland, so we'd just end up killing off football for good in those 'countries'.

this would be disastrous and kill off the support which each team get now. wales and scotland (and england at most home games) struggle to sell out stadiums. if we were lumped in together, the more passionate fans would lose all interest.

keemcfc said:
yeah & let the girls join in too!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.