(A-Z Artist or Band Name) Now Indexed

It was a great few weeks on this thread and a definite highlight of lockdown for me. It was the only thread I was really following as I'd decided to try to ignore the news for a while and this was a perfect distraction. So feeling slightly lost not having to think about tunes to post. Also going through my library helped me remember stuff I'd forgotten about whilst deleting some crap.

Might have to go back to the beginning and find some more "new" stuff, although I've got a fair bit to be catching up on already. Might also post some that I missed/left out early on.

Best find was Boozoo Bajou, so far, but that was day 2, so there's bound to be other great stuff that I missed, especially when it all started going mental after the 1st week or so! It was hilarious towards the end when you just knew people were waiting for midnight with their selections teed up... Not just you Stoner!

Thanks again eamo and everyone else.

Last edited:
1968 - Flying Circus (German band from the Cologne/Düsseldorf area). Brilliant album.

"The full version of this progressive rock release from 2020, published by Fastball Music (https://www.youtube.com/user/Fastball...), will surely entice all fans of classic progressive rock bands like Yes, Genesis or King Crimson, psychedelic rock à la Pink Floyd, classic rock in the vein of The Beatles, The Who or 60s / 70s hard rock in the style of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple or a combination of all of the above reminiscent of the band Rush or more modern prog bands like Opeth or Steven Wilson.

All of the album's songs treat a unique historic event of the momentous year 1968 and are set in different places all around the world. Thus, incidents that happened in Paris, Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Derry, My Lai (Vietnam), Memphis/Tennessee and New York get set to music in tracks named after the respective cities they are set in. The band easily meets the challenge of transferring the complex events of 1968 into classic rock music with its huge creative power, and thus finds adequate, intoxicating, and sometimes surprising musical expressions for student rallies, several assassinations and assassination attempts, a massacre during the Vietnam War or the first foreshadowings for the "troubles" in Northern Ireland.

The five FLYING CIRCUS musicians' (Michael Dorp/vocals, Michael Rick/guitar, Rüdiger Blömer/keyboards and violin, Roger Weitz/bass und Ande Roderigo/drums) ambition to create a modern piece of Classic (album) Rock music is underlined by their decision to record "1968" at the legendary "Dierks Studios" in Pulheim-Stommeln near Cologne, which has seen the likes of Ike & Tina Turner, Rory Gallagher, Eric Burdon, the Scorpions and Michael Jackson all record tracks and, in some cases, even whole albums there over the last decades. Recommended to all lovers of the classic, "big" rock albums of the late 60s and 70s who are hungry for a new meaty challenge!"

Thought that was good. Took me probably couple of tracks to get my ears around it and I will give it another listen or two. Sonically, the music sounds straight out of the time '1968', they nailed that really well. Didn't focus on the lyrics too much, will do that on another listen. The violin took me by surprise (on 'Derry'), wasn't expecting any fiddling! Think it repeats thematically on another track as well, though might've misheard.

Yeh, interesting lp, look forward to hearing more...

@Kakhaber The Great They are not well known to a wider audience. Took me some time to get my ears around it, too. It's progressive and experimental. "The hopes we had" is probably the most catchy song, as it's the only one with kind of memorable chorus. But I like to listen to all the other songs as their structure is quite different from the things I am used to listen to. I've been surprised a couple of times listening to the album, as the songs seem to take a different path from what you'd usually expect. It's a bit like listening to Opeth, Rush, Dream Theatre and some others, where I also needed some time to appreciate their art.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.