About Gareth Barry: question

Matt the Giant

I was thinking about him and his performances for since he joined "the revolution", and I'm wondering if it's just me, or does anybody else also feel he has not been the player for us he was for Villa?
I quite like the chap, but initially I thought (and hoped) we had signed a midfield dominator, a director, but I don't think that has been the case.

So, is it because the players around him are now better than in Villa, making him look less great, or has he actually lost some of his form (and speed)? If so, are there any indications you think, that he will become better again?

I wasn't impressed left too by his performance last night in the international, not that he played a bad game, but still I felt like there was something missing. He seems to be trying though, which is a good sign.

What do you all reckon? Is he a given in our first XI? Can he become better?

Cheers!

Matt the Giant said:
I was thinking about him and his performances for since he joined "the revolution", and I'm wondering if it's just me, or does anybody else also feel he has not been the player for us he was for Villa?
I quite like the chap, but initially I thought (and hoped) we had signed a midfield dominator, a director, but I don't think that has been the case.

So, is it because the players around him are now better than in Villa, making him look less great, or has he actually lost some of his form (and speed)? If so, are there any indications you think, that he will become better again?

I wasn't impressed left too by his performance last night in the international, not that he played a bad game, but still I felt like there was something missing. He seems to be trying though, which is a good sign.

What do you all reckon? Is he a given in our first XI? Can he become better?

Cheers!

Never given the chance to be the player he can be due to playing next to Mr Kick (de jong)

The problem is he plays with another player in the same position. He moved from the left wing at villa to Central defensive midfielder (where he plays for england). Mancini last season played two of these player in Barry and De jong. In my opinion it should be Barry alone with the second midfielder being more attack minded.

This is why sometimes when you watch city we dont create much centrally, as both centre mids are too deep.

Barry is a good steady player IMO, and I dont mean this sarcastically, you know when barry has had a good game, because you wont have noticed him. He just keeps the ball moving.

An understated player for sure.

Barry contributes the unspectacular. He gets through an enormous amount on the field, can save a goal and can score a goal, but generally 90% of his contribution is the general hum-drum of the football field. Take him out of the equation and their will be a large hole that few would be able to fill. Too many people notice the things he can't do and the mistakes he makes. I think he has been a good buy for us and adds unspectacular solidity to the team.

I have to agree with previous posts. Barry does do a mostly un noticed amount of work. My only concern is if we need someone with the dogs of war mentality then to me its not Barry, its NDJ. Personally i think it will be a midfield 5 where Yaya is the permanent player and NDJ and Barry rotate. Mind you thinking about it there would be room for both. Bah, what do I know?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Barry contributes the unspectacular. He gets through an enormous amount on the field, can save a goal and can score a goal, but generally 90% of his contribution is the general hum-drum of the football field. Take him out of the equation and their will be a large hole that few would be able to fill. Too many people notice the things he can't do and the mistakes he makes. I think he has been a good buy for us and adds unspectacular solidity to the team.

This is the strangest yet most impressive support of a player and his performances I have ever read. Your use of the word 'unspectacular' epitomises your post.

Barry keeps the game flowing when we have the ball and breaks the opposition play up as well.

The reason he was so good for Villa was that he was their main player and most of their play centred around him. It is similar to Berbatov when he was at Spurs as they played through him but the rags go through Shrek more than anyone else.

Barry is solid but thats it for me, lacks pace and isnt the type of player who will dominate a midfield or win a game for you. I thought he always gave his best last season. I think he will play less this year and may even move on in January. I like him hes one of the few modern english players who doesnt seem to be a yob and always puts a shift in whether hes playing good bad or indifferent.

IMO, started off the season very well, but for some reason that seemed to change after the away game at Villa, think it really affected him tbh, don`t know whether he wanted some kind of nod from the Villa fans to say that it was `ok`after his move, but his form definitely seemed to dip after that.

Oh! and get that bonce sorted Gareth, £85,000 a week and you have a reversible haircut, not on son ;-)

From the above posts it seems to be coming across that a couple of people would rather have Barry than De jong unless i have read the posts wrong.

Are you people having a laugh. De Jong is twice the player Barry is and would be the first name on my team sheet every week. De Long does a horrible job well and always does things simple and never trie to do anything he isn't capable apart from the odd shot now and athen ha ha ha.

I think with Yaya in the side as well this season instead of BArry he would be able to both jobs both defensive and attacking when required.

What do you think? Would you seriously start with Barry in the side??????

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.