Absolutely Ridiculous

lionheart

According to this dickhead's research, we earned 9 points more than we should have done last season, thanks to refereeing mistakes. Please join me in booting this article into touch by adding your comments to the link.
<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/65340/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/wor ... cle/65340/</a>

I think a few City fans accepted that we enjoyed the rub of the green last year with refereering decisions. Not many went against us and we got away with a few legitimate penalty claims against us eg Lescott v Newcastle

The trouble with this type of analysis though is that it presumes that if the dodgy decision had been reversed everything that followed would have stayed the same.

How do they know what a refereeing 'mistake' is?

For instance, a penalty not given. How do they know that another referee would have given the penalty in that circumstance?

There are instances that are clear cut such as offside or over-the-line, but penalties, red cards, and free kicks are judgment calls. We say there are exact definitions in the FIFA rules, but that's not how the game is judged. Something that may technically be a penalty won't be given because there is no plausible opportunity to score a goal.

Isn't he supposed to know a thing or two about football? It's fucking part of the game! Everyone gets a piece of the pie, not just us by ANY means.

Blue Haze said:

For instance, a penalty not given. How do they know that another referee would have given the penalty in that circumstance?

There are instances that are clear cut such as offside or over-the-line, but penalties, red cards, and free kicks are judgment calls. We say there are exact definitions in the FIFA rules, but that's not how the game is judged. Something that may technically be a penalty won't be given because there is no plausible opportunity to score a goal.
Im sure the rules have changed for penalties now as in there doesnt need to be a clear goalscoring chance for it to be given, now a foul in the box is a penalty no matter what

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Blue Haze said:

Im sure the rules have changed for penalties now as in there doesnt need to be a clear goalscoring chance for it to be given, now a foul in the box is a penalty no matter what

I know. But there are still instances where clear tripping happens in the box, you know the ref saw it but didn't give it. There are times when a red card is technically mandated yet the ref gives yellow, even though there is no plausible defence for it. United got one of those calls last season, I think Rio did it. Nige got one in the World Cup.

The refs balance entertainment with the rules.

That's why this study is flawed. He can't quantify things like the effect of a red card, let alone judgment.

isnt this the nature of the game? some decisions are right, some are wrong.. some go for you and some dont?

and as everyone has said previously... his logic is flawed anyway...

Am I the only one who's noticed that I'm moaning at referees just a tiny fraction of the time than I did when we were shit?! But most of that is because we have more possession than we ever used to. It's the same as Mourinho moaning that Barca get all the decisions but the so called best coach in the world understands so little of football that he doesn't realise that if Barca have twice as much of the ball than Real then Barca will get twice as many fouls and Real twice as many cards.

For City last season think of Newcastle at home: Ameobi should have been given a penalty, he wasn't.
Think about Blackpool away: they had a goal disallowed for off-side that wasn't off-side and we scored a goal that was off-side that was given.

But all over the pitch we're getting loads of decisions we never used to because we've simply go more of the ball.

The thing is though, that article is like a poor dissertation by a uni student. There's too many varients to disprove the final table. Who's to say that Nolan would have scored the penalty if Ameobi had been awarded it? Loads of penalties are missed so it's too
unreliable.

cibaman said:
The trouble with this type of analysis though is that it presumes that if the dodgy decision had been reversed everything that followed would have stayed the same.

/end

Fuck em.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.