Academy/CFG Profit

It's a murky world. We do pay some big numbers and I'd guess most are not reported so impossible to say what the true profit would be.

That said most youth players are on very short contracts so the vast majority will be no fee or small fees / tribunal fees etc. And the rate at which we sell multi million pound youth players we must be comfortably in profit. Before you even think what a Phil Foden is worth.
I think the article was about the CFG purchases, which tended to be actual fee paid transfers, so there was some trail to follow.

One thing I've noticed is that everyone these days seems to get their comparisons from transfermarkt. However, they have a few rules which mean a lot of transfers don't appear in comparisons (even if they appear in our accounts, where it matters). We can buy a player for the main team, loan them out, and even if they never set foot in the country, their sale fee will count. However a player could be with the Academy from age 7 but be loaned out and then sold before making their City debut, and their sale fee won't count. A player can come from another Academy at age 16, get 5 minutes late on in a League Cup match, before being loaned and sold, and their transfer will count :/

I think the article was about the CFG purchases, which tended to be actual fee paid transfers, so there was some trail to follow.

One thing I've noticed is that everyone these days seems to get their comparisons from transfermarkt. However, they have a few rules which mean a lot of transfers don't appear in comparisons (even if they appear in our accounts, where it matters). We can buy a player for the main team, loan them out, and even if they never set foot in the country, their sale fee will count. However a player could be with the Academy from age 7 but be loaned out and then sold before making their City debut, and their sale fee won't count. A player can come from another Academy at age 16, get 5 minutes late on in a League Cup match, before being loaned and sold, and their transfer will count :/
Also transfermarkt convert sterling fees to euros at todays rate of exchange, then convert back into sterling. With the pound sinking against the euro, figures are inflated. So, for example, Grealish is now listed at £117m. Bonkers. I have seen at least one journo using transfermarkt suggesting that we deliberately hid the true cost of Jack.

Were none of them good enough for the first team?
I have said for a few years that good players aren't what we need; we need great players.
We are moving into a phase where great players won't cut it; we need exceptional players.
This is MCFC 2023 where only the best will do and there is no place for sentiment.
As others have said; there aren't many youngsters we've released who gone on to make it big elsewhere. Daniel Sturridge might be the last one and that was long ago. Oh and Sancho on the rag bench.

What sort of rules would transfermarket have that seems weird it’s just a comparison website

What sort of rules would transfermarket have that seems weird it’s just a comparison website
Not sure whether there's any thought behind it. They track players at youth/under 21 levels, so Academy players are usually classed as part of the Man City U21 team initially. That makes sense as you don't want to click on Man City and see 60 players in the main team, the majority of whom have never played.

What it means is that a player from the Academy who never makes even a short first team appearance, is only ever a Manchester City U21 player, so that's where the sales are shown.

So this season our Under 21s made a profit of €45.30m, but that doesn't get included in the main team comparison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.