Academy Players Breaking Through - Will it happen?

nomorethaksintimes

Does anyone see the likes of Rekik, Suarez, Guidetti, Razak getting serious game time this year (not just early CC rounds) or making regular Premiership matchday squads on a regular basis?

I can't help but think that it's a bit ridiculous when someone like Guidetti isn't seen as the logical choice for our 4th choice striker if Dzeko goes. Similarly, does anyone who has seen Rodwell and Razak a fair bit (I haven't) think paying 10-15m for Rodwell is justified?

Personally, I think Mancini is understandably very results driven, whereas Khaldoon is looking to balance immediate targets with a longer-term view and self-sustainability. IMO someone will have to give ground on this...but Mancini's pursuit of the likes of RVP and DeRossi suggests he isn't keen to suppliment our main squad with youngsters the way Barcelona do on a seaosn-by-season basis.

nomorethaksintimes said:
Does anyone see the likes of Rekik, Suarez, Guidetti, Razak getting serious game time this year (not just early CC rounds) or making regular Premiership matchday squads on a regular basis?

I can't help but think that it's a bit ridiculous when someone like Guidetti isn't seen as the logical choice for our 4th choice striker if Dzeko goes. Similarly, does anyone who has seen Rodwell and Razak a fair bit (I haven't) think paying 10-15m for Rodwell is justified?

Personally, I think Mancini is understandably very results driven, whereas Khaldoon is looking to balance immediate targets with a longer-term view and self-sustainability. IMO someone will have to give ground on this...but Mancini's pursuit of the likes of RVP and DeRossi suggests he isn't keen to suppliment our main squad with youngsters the way Barcelona do on a seaosn-by-season basis.

Squads maybe , team no.

No.

In the PL they wont have serious game time. How you put them even on the bench?
While players with 100.000/week will be in the stands?

They will get bench paces when there are lot of injury at once.

So League Cup it is for them, until the semi-final if we get there. But if we run into a top team in early round of League Cup like Chelsea and they put up a strong team we wont play Razak, Suarez etc. Like last year against Arsenal...
Razak got 10 minutes in the end.

That's not much of a breaktrough.

Guidetti? would love to see him, as we cannot really expect more than what he did on loan? We loan out youngster to make sure they get experience and see if they crack under pressure (like Savic for us) or not. Guidetti was brilliant at Feyenoord scored money goals, became a fan favourite.
Helped his team to CL place. (They were underdogs before the season to get into the top3...)

And he couldnt even be a benchwarmer at City because two strikers already sitting there. Expensive ones on big wages...

nope look at mancinis record of giving young players a chance- barely any of them get played

bluebannana said:
nope look at mancinis record of giving young players a chance- barely any of them get played

But on the other hand look at the trophy cabinet. Though I am of the personal opinion we should see some more youth this season, even if it's in the dying embers of matches. If we do better in the champions league and other cups we might actually see more youth this season just to give the big guys a rest, just a thought.

Most of our older more experienced players are in the CB/CM are of the field with Yaya, Barry, Lescott, Kolo etc. The addition of Rodwell was done with this in mind. it in no way hinders the development or chances of the likes of Razak or Rekik. If they are good enough they will get their shot. Suarez might find it harder as most of our younger first team stars (Nasri, Silva, Balotelli, Aguero etc) can all play in his position. But he seems to be the acadamys brightest star so it's all in his own hands

But yeah for sure, This season i'd like to see them start getting game time in the league.

The problem City has is that of ensuring that we have young players, brought up in the City system, who are good enough to replace "stars" who are either injured or whose careers are at an end. We hear about the Ajax youth scheme and their team of the mid-1990s and, of course, the present Barcelona team. Both these teams were supplemented with "expensive" signings. The trouble is that these are isolated examples (I am, of course, ignoring the most consistent conveyor belt of world class, English youngsters, but this is at a club where club policy for over 50 years has been never to buy a player and never to pick a player for the first team who is over 18). Academies and youth schemes can't be expected to produce more than the odd top class player. Liverpool and Chelsea have invested as much as anyone, so far, in their academies and produced virtually nothing! United bang on about youth, but they struggle to come up with a player of genuine top quality that has emerged from their youth scheme: Giggs joined them at 16, Beckham was a personality rather than a genuine "world class" talent and came from Spurs anyway. Scholes may be the only one in the last 20 years! Their policy is to try and buy everyone else's young British players.

Like other clubs City do, now, scour the world for young talent and this would seem to be paying dividends. There are some players of real ability coming through, and I suspect Suarez, Razak and Rekik - to name three - are seen as long term successors to David Silva, Ya Ya and Vinnie. But the club is guarding against pushing them to far too fast. So, I think they will get pitch time, it will be carefully chosen and their development will continue. As for Guidetti, he seems in a different position. He is ready, apparently, for PL football, is restless fot it, but is not good enough to replace any of our four strikers. He will probably go out on loan again, if possible. It's a pity the loan move to Sunderland didn't work out.

Any kid who makes serious headway here is gonna have to be something special , even a promising talent like Jack Rodwell is shortly gonna find that out ..... that's why Mancini has already issued him with a warning about playing well whenever he's given the chance to.

Playing for Everton at this point in time , and performing for Manchester City are two very different things ...... the level of expectation at City is currently much higher .

This is a club who have now won three bits of domestic silverware in little over two seasons , and even if the club were fortunate enough to win the Champions League next season , that domestic success would be expected to continue ........ this club must aim to win silverware EVERY season from now on , simply because there are others around us who do !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.