Accrington vs Tranmere

From Twitter

Accrington Stanley chief exec Rob Heys says injured Tom Bender had begun to regain consciousness on the way to hospital.

I was at the game. The lad, who is only 18, seemed to collide with both his own keeper and a Tranmere forward - a complete accident. He was flat out in the penalty area lying on his stomach, players were gesturing for attention - it was obvious immediately that it was serious. I was just behind the dugouts where the players and officials gathered and an ambulance was called for - the lad didn't move at all and oxygen and a drip were given to him on the pitch. The ambulance took an eternity to arrive, a Stanley forum says that it had to come from Preston. It was right in front of the Tranmere fans and they were great - when the lad was eventually carried off to meet the ambulance they gave a standing ovation and also applauded the announcement of the abandonment. The crowd left in a shocked silence. As I put on the Satnley forum at a time like that there are no teams or colours to divide us just a football family hoping and praying for the best for one of its own. So glad to hear that there were signs of recovery in the ambulance - latest is that he is stable in hospital.<br /><br />-- Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 pm --<br /><br />
ELL107T said:
SSN just reported he has had a scan & been "given the all clear"

Great news.

ELL107T said:
SSN just reported he has had a scan & been "given the all clear"
Bad concussion could have been much worse thankfully he should be fine!

http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/index.php/newsy/4335

Accrington Stanley defender Tom Bender is being kept in hospital overnight for observation after he was stretchered off in tonight's game with Tranmere.

Stanley Chief Executive Rob Heys has been to visit the 18-year-old.

"Tom is now fully conscious," he said. "He has been for a scan which has come back as normal."

"He is severely concussed and is being kept in overnight for medical staff to keep an eye on him, but he's stable and that's great news."

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy match was abandoned earlier this evening after the youngster was hurt.

Rovers were winning 2-1 when it was abandoned. Accrington's manager has offered them a one goal lead for the replay.
I can't imagine any Prem club doing that.

Good news. A friend was at the game and said there was an strange hush on the ground.

Nice gesture by Accrington manager, although I dont think the FA would allow it. Didnt Wenger offer to replay a game when Arsenal beat Sheffield United through unsportsmanlike means?

cantona01 said:
Good news. A friend was at the game and said there was an strange hush on the ground.

Nice gesture by Accrington manager, although I dont think the FA would allow it. Didnt Wenger offer to replay a game when Arsenal beat Sheffield United through unsportsmanlike means?

They did replay the game between Arse and Sheff U.

It was a similar ''hush'' when Paul Lake went down and almost swallowed his tongue.

If it's true an ambulance had to come from Preston that is a disgrace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.