Advice/knowledge needed (Teachers, legal knowledge, anyone)

andyblue87

I am applying to start a course next year in primary education with a view to being a teacher. I know all applicants must have an advanced CRB check, this will bring up the fine i had for a public order offence (section 5) a few years ago.

basically, I want to know if this means I won't be allowed to be a teacher? or, if not an automatic exclusion, how likely is it to affect me getting a job at the end of it?

any knowledge is appreciated, I have been googling for hours and nothing definitive comes up and I am in a bit of a panic.

andyblue87 said:
I am applying to start a course next year in primary education with a view to being a teacher. I know all applicants must have an advanced CRB check, this will bring up the fine i had for a public order offence (section 5) a few years ago.

basically, I want to know if this means I won't be allowed to be a teacher? or, if not an automatic exclusion, how likely is it to affect me getting a job at the end of it?

any knowledge is appreciated, I have been googling for hours and nothing definitive comes up and I am in a bit of a panic.

As long as youre up front and honest you will get the job, but tell them you have a section 5. My brother-in-law has criminal damage conviction & one for selling dodgy DVD's on Bolton market yet he is in his 6th year at uni doing his masters in teaching. So it doesnt always go against you, if it was years ago and you can prove you havent reoffended and youre up front with them you should be ok.

I'd see a lawyer and ask the college if they have any experience of this type of thing.

But remember there is a glut of teachers at the moment. Each job has lots of applicants and nearly all of those will have clean CRB checks.

I know of a teacher who is working despite a drunk and disorderly conviction as a student and I remember a PE teacher being convicted of drunk driving who kept his job even though he couldn't drive the school minibus any longer.

the department for education have a safe recruitment in schools document

<a class="postlink" href="http://publications.education.gov.uk/default.aspx?PageFunction=productdetails&PageMode=spectrum&ProductId=DFES-04217-2006&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://publications.education.gov.uk/de ... 4217-2006&</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.