African Cup of Nations..... why now???

nixmith2

I'm struggling to compose this post without sounding a bit 'racist', but here goes: Bearing in mind the column inches around the Qatar World Cup of 2022 and why it is there and will the premier league have to change its dates, it amazes me that every couple of years (I think) the ACONs interferes with the footballing calender in the way it does and nobody seems to be bothered.

Well I am bothered - after a monumental run showing real grit and playing the last few games without a recognised striker we have finally achieved parity on points with Chelsea & yet now we are set to lose one of our most important players, for several games. This is uppermost in my mind today because against Sunderland, it was looking like being a nil - nil until Yaya scored. Fingers crossed we keep on this winning run (just that Burnley blip) but if we lose any ground to Chelsea whilst Yaya is away, I will always wonder what might have been.....

Off the top of my head I can only think of one solution: the Premier League should have a Christmas/New Year break in line with the rest of Europe and if Africa want their cup of nations, have it then. The other plus from this would be it might help England perform better at future Euro Championships/World Cups because this crazy holiday fixture list (fun though it is for the fans) is really holding us back at these big international tournaments IMO.

Anyone else have a view on this?

How on Earth would that sound racist?!

Besides, it's too hot in most of Africa to have them in the Summer. But I do think they should be every four years, why there every two is beyond me.

It's been this way since 1968. Long before the Premier League, long before the Champions League. Why the hell should they change to suit England or Europe?

Teams know what they're getting when they sign African players.

KippaxCitizen said:

Besides, it's too hot in most of Africa to have them in the Summer. But I do think they should be every four years, why there every two is beyond me.

I was just worried that my thread might give out the vibe that Africa shouldn't even have its own inter-continental tournament, which is not what I'm saying, I just don't like the fact it takes players away from the premier league (specifically Yaya Toure) every other Jan-Feb.

P.S. Not that this effects me in any way, but does anyone know if City have to pay his wages whilst he is away ?

Henkeman said:
It's been this way since 1968. Long before the Premier League, long before the Champions League. Why the hell should they change to suit England or Europe?

Couldnt agree more. Smart move to extend franks stay for this reason.

Henkeman said:

Some sound logic there.

We have to make do without him as we have done so in the past as do other teams as well.

Hopefully Ivory Coast will have a shocker.

Henkeman said:

^This^

Henkeman said:

Exactly.
It's like going to Spain on holiday and complaining every where is shut early afternoon for a siesta.....

KippaxCitizen said:

Actually in many places in Africa it's cooler in May-July than it is in December-February.

As others of said, we knew this was coming when we sign African players but you may have got more out of this post if you lodged it 3 or 4 months ago, not the day we finally catch Chelsea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.