African Cup of Nations..... why now???

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Henkeman said:
It's been this way since 1968. Long before the Premier League, long before the Champions League. Why the hell should they change to suit England or Europe?

Teams know what they're getting when they sign African players.

Exactly.
It's like going to Spain on holiday and complaining every where is shut early afternoon for a siesta.....

Or like going to Paris for a week and complaining that everyone is speaking French!

As has been said, ACoN was taking place long before African players ever came anywhere near England to play.

In the days before we had Kolo and YaYa playing for us, I hated it when the likes of Wenger and Allardyce moaned about their players going off to ACoN, so it would be hypocritical of me to complain that we are losing YaYa again.

Also, it comes across as rather 'colonial' that people are trying to tell CAF when it should hold its tournament.

If Premier league can continue whilst African and Asian competitions are played mid-Winter, and Rugby Union club games continue during the 6 nations, wouldn't it be interesting to let all leagues continue during a mid-Winter world cup? Let the international players go and play, (half would be back in a few weeks), and let the rest of the squad players have a crack at it. It wouldn't be good for the top 6, but the other clubs would love it.

citytilllidie said:
If Premier league can continue whilst African and Asian competitions are played mid-Winter, and Rugby Union club games continue during the 6 nations, wouldn't it be interesting to let all leagues continue during a mid-Winter world cup? Let the international players go and play, (half would be back in a few weeks), and let the rest of the squad players have a crack at it. It wouldn't be good for the top 6, but the other clubs would love it.

Nonsense, I pay to watch world class players not the stiffs. It would make the leagues around Europe a farce, the corrupt bastards at FIFA can stuff their World Cup as I'm concerned I hate the breaks imposed for the qualifiers that we have to suffer as it is without adding more.

Cherry tree blue said:
Surely it's time for the EPL to take a break at this time of year perhaps UEFA could organise some qualifiers instead of spreading them
out over the year

Ok, you are new here so I will go easy on you, but dont make a habit of coming on here and talking sense when we are ranting about the agenda, it is obvious that City are the only side affected by this and it is being done purely to spite us, and how dare those Africans want their own tournament when we have more money than them. (oh and before anyone else says it.....RAG.)

The ACON takes place every two years because they do not require as many qualifying games as UEFA due to fewer nations, so the idea of a month long break from domestic football at the top level from say second weekend in January to second weekend in February could be worth exploring, play ALL the international qualifyers that month and we would only really lose on weekend game per season, those that are interested in international football can watch the nation of their choice, those that are not interested can go skiing or hibernate or watch non-league games, giving junior football a boost.

citytilllidie said:

Unfair on the rags who always field a starting 11 of homegrown England Internationals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.