After 14 games, year on year comparison

Just because the total points are the same does not mean we have stayed still. As the other 5 around us are all on minus points compared to last year therefore the premier league has got stronger, and the fact that we have the same amount of points means we have got stronger.

Also last year we were 11 pts from the top this year were 3 so if that means we have stayed still, god help the league when we go forward.

Well, if anything it shows that the league is much tighter this season; 25 points last season at this stage and we were in sixth, but 25 points this season and we're in fourth. This could be largely due to Everton, Spurs and Liverpool having "poor" starts by their standards. I'm sure if they hadn't, we'd be in fifth or sixth now, but despite the run of games from Arsenal (H) to Birmingham (H) we didn't get lucky, whereas, the run of games from Chelsea (H) to Poznan (H) we were very lucky. It swings in roundabouts.

Football's a funny old game, and I'm thoroughly behind Mancini. He's got us playing better football, even if it isn't as exciting as Hughes' football was. We showed on Sunday that this current team from Mancini is miles better than the team that Hughes produced after longer in charge. Hughes was out-managed on Sunday, and his squad of 18 were out-classed and out-played.

Mancini will get us there. Fourth after less than a year incharge? I'll take that.

Forza Mancini.

Think you are misinterpreting my "stayed still" post. I mean that the league is tighter...so the same points as last year get you a higher position.

Obviously we have come on leaps and bounds...

i think we have had tougher fixtures so far and we look set to be consistant this year too.

1 Chelsea 14 6 0 1 17 3 3 1 3 11 6 19 28
2 Man Utd 14 6 1 0 17 5 1 6 0 11 10 13 28
3 Arsenal 14 4 0 3 17 9 4 2 1 11 6 13 26
4 Man City 14 3 3 1 7 5 4 1 2 12 6 8 25

the only one that matters

Last year we got off to a flyer with four consecutive victories. In retrospect those results gave a false impression of how good we were. This year we started slower due to injuries, a radical change in playing system, the impact of the WC on pre season preparation etc We may only have the same number of points but I think we're on the up (apart from the odd blip), whereas this time last year we were levelling off.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Ah, the old statistical argument. You have to take into account which teams you have played and whether it was home or away. MANUre had the softest start of anyone. Go through each team and see how the result varies from last season.

An interesting op.

When comparing last season's results to this as you describe DEB'e i.e home/away and opposition (and I have replaced last year's relegated teams with those promoted in order, i.e. champions replace 18th) then we have 25 points this season compared to last season's total of..............25 points.

I'm not going to do that for all the other teams though. I'm not a complete saddo, you know.

*Counts number volkswagen golfs on M60*

Project said:
Everyone knows that the league has tightened, but I thought it would be interesting to see just how. I've stripped out Bolton this year and focused on the "big 6".

20101124-pg2ut4cwkecmdw71gmmntrf5yu.jpg

Spurs surprised me. Hugely different goal difference, though if I remember correctly this would have taken into account the 9-1 win against Wigan last year. Also interesting how we have conceded and scored 7 less.

In summary - it appears you had to have spent big to stay still...

its telling me what i already know!

we have to take the chances we are getting sooner rather than later especially with all teams around us on poor form other wise we will miss the same chance we had last season!

It depends which way you look at it:

a) Same amount of points so we've stood still.

or

b) Last year we were 11 points off the leader, now we are 3 behind. On that basis, we have improved by 375%.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. (Well, not in the middle as such. That would be an improvement of 187.5%, which is a bit of an exaggeration but you get what I mean)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.