Air France Plane Missing Over The Atlantic

good point aphex but i doubt it, any way pominoz we were only having a laugh at someone else's expense!

Been on that flight myself (Rio to Paris)... I imagine some of our Brazilan boys have used this route too. When you try and book a return flight to Brazil ex Manchester that is usually the one that comes up first. I'm thinking there will be a few Brits on board.

I very much doubt that a lightning strike would bring it down. BTW they were crusing at 35,000 and thats usually well above where the lightning is. The way I see it the maint dept in Paris received an aoutmatically generated message about an "electrical problem". Speculating this could vey mell mean a fire, which is the most likely cause of bringing down this aircraft. Same thing happened to a Swiss Air flgiht a few years ago form NY that crashed in the Atlantic.

Certainly doubt turbulance brought it down either. These newer aircraft have many redundancies built in. My guess it was a fire brought about by an electrical problem. Now, they arent even certain as to where the aircraft went down at least I ahvent seen any concrete info as of yet. To figure out what happened, its going to come down to locating the voice recorder and the data recorder. Have no idea how deep the water is in the area........

Also if Chicago Blue is about we shold defer to him. He flies Airbuses albeit the smaller (and older) ones.....Chcago Blue if you are on I flew with a buddy of yours on the Guppy yesterday-Irish Rag, right seat, getting furloughed unfortunately. GLENNS GOTTA GO!!!

Frank the Yank said:
I very much doubt that a lightning strike would bring it down. BTW they were crusing at 35,000 and thats usually well above where the lightning is. The way I see it the maint dept in Paris received an aoutmatically generated message about an "electrical problem". Speculating this could vey mell mean a fire, which is the most likely cause of bringing down this aircraft. Same thing happened to a Swiss Air flgiht a few years ago form NY that crashed in the Atlantic.

Certainly doubt turbulance brought it down either. These newer aircraft have many redundancies built in. My guess it was a fire brought about by an electrical problem. Now, they arent even certain as to where the aircraft went down at least I ahvent seen any concrete info as of yet. To figure out what happened, its going to come down to locating the voice recorder and the data recorder. Have no idea how deep the water is in the area........

Also if Chicago Blue is about we shold defer to him. He flies Airbuses albeit the smaller (and older) ones.....Chcago Blue if you are on I flew with a buddy of yours on the Guppy yesterday-Irish Rag, right seat, getting furloughed unfortunately. GLENNS GOTTA GO!!!

CNN quoted cloud ceiling to be circa 50,000ft at the point where the plane lost contact so could certainly have been hit by lightning. Still, I doubt we'll ever really know what happened, like you say, I bet the water is pretty deep as you cross it from Brazil to the west coast of Africa.

It is rare that the ceilings are that high. I have experience lightning stirkes a few times in 22 years of flying and they have all been on approach. Its actually not that UNCOMMON an occurrance really. I cannot recall any incidence of an aircraft being brought down during cruise by a lightning strike or turbulance. It just doesnt make sense.

It looks as though something electrical went wrong and to me that means fire.......

Brazilian Statement:

The Brazilian Air Force Command informs that it has begun search operations for AIR FRANCE FLIGHT 447, which disappeared when flying from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris, France, with an estimated arrival time of 6:10 AM (Brasilia time).

The AIR FRANCE aircraft took off from Galeão Airport in Rio at 7:30 PM local time. At 10:30 PM, Flight AFR 447 made its last contact via radio with the Atlantic Area Control Center (CINDACTA III) at position INTOL (565 kilometers from the city of Natal, RN), informing that it was entering the airspace of DAKAR - Senegal (position TASIL – 1,228 km from Natal), at 11:20 PM (Brasilia time). At 10:48 PM, when the aircraft left CINDACTA III's radar coverage, at the island of Fernando de Noronha, information indicated that the aircraft was flying normally at an altitude of 35,000 feet (11 km) and at a velocity of 453 knots (840 km/h).

At the time estimated for position TASIL (11:20 PM), the AIR FRANCE aircraft did not make the expected radio contact with CINDACTA III, of which DAKAR Control was informed.

AIR FRANCE informed CINDACTA III, at 8:30 AM, Brasilia time, that at approximately 100 km from position TASIL, flight AFR 447 sent a message informing the company of mechanical problems on the aircraft (loss of pressurization and a failure in the electrical system).

At 2:30 AM local time, SALVAERO Recife activated search teams of the Brazilian Air Force - FAB, with one C-130 Hercules aircraft, one sea patrol P-95 Bandeirante and the Air-Land Rescue Squadron (PARASAR).

This is how to ditch on the sea ;) i wouldnt mind it if all ended like his!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp81QyrmfA8&feature=channel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp81Qyrm ... annel_page</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.