Airbus A350 First Flight

remember arthur mann said:
Nothing in it for us Brits, especially as the government sold the British aircraft industry to become yankee sub contractors. Congrats to Airbus.
Apart from the wings, the engines and quite a few of the systems. Otherwise nothing in it for us!!

pieface said:
Inbetween,why are the ends of the wings curly,and why cant they put bigger windows in?
"Curly wings" normally known as Winglets reduce drag and increase lift by reducing the generation of wingtip vortices, therefore making the aircraft more efficient which means it uses less fuel and has a longer range.

Newer aircraft do tend to have larger windows than older ones, but generally larger windows mean increased weight and more complex structural design.

west didsblue said:
remember arthur mann said:
Nothing in it for us Brits, especially as the government sold the British aircraft industry to become yankee sub contractors. Congrats to Airbus.
Apart from the wings, the engines and quite a few of the systems. Otherwise nothing in it for us!!
Exactly
Rolls royce's order book for engines is £60 billion..
Am sure that will keep their near 50'000 staff busy :)

When's the actual flight, the link is just showing a video at the moment. As an ancient Aeronautics graduate I love seeing stuff like this.

I was obviously late - saw the take off recorded. Lovely looking aircraft, especially the (British made) wings.

Tourist since 1971 said:
When's the actual flight, the link is just showing a video at the moment. As an ancient Aeronautics graduate I love seeing stuff like this.

Already happened, was very uneventful and looked good.

Tourist since 1971 said:
Wind the live feed back to about 1 hour in.

west didsblue said:
Tourist since 1971 said:
Wind the live feed back to about 1 hour in.

There was a t.v. production of the birth of the 777, the wing being tested to destruction in front of thousands of workers was pure theatre and the same with the crash-stop when the carbon discs glowed red hot and set fire to the tyres. IIRC the wings reached 60% upward distortion before the top spar suffered explosive failure after passing the safety margin of 50%.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.