Alan Gilzean RIP

Remember him well. He was a tall, slim, silky-skilled winger/inside forward who sported a Charltonesque combover and formed a dangerous partnership up front with Martin Chivers and Jimmy Greaves. I was there that day, the penultimate game of the ‘67/68 season, when we faced that trio at WHL and won 3-1, Greaves scoring their consolation goal just before the end of the game. Another opposition player of my City-supporting past sadly gone. RIP.

I remember him from when I first started following football, though I was too young to ever see him play live.

R. I. P. Alan.

Remember him in one game at Maine Road getting stick from the Kippax throughout the match. Spotty Gilzean was the chant every time he got the ball ( I think it was some obscure reference to a Peter Cook/Dudley Moore character). He scored a great goal in the Platt Lane end then ran up the touchline throwing V signs at the crowd, who then broke out in huge round of applause in recognition of the goal and for his cheek..

Superb player known as the King Of White Hart Lane and absolutely brilliant in the air, setting up many chances for Jimmy Greaves.RIP

RIP.

One of the first away team players I can remember, alongside Greaves. Cultured clever footballer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.