Alan Oakes

I think he played with more city legions than any other player I think we need to find out his all time team that he has played with if oakiecokie could pester him

oakiecokie said:
bluekeith said:
How close did Alan Oakes get to the 1970 world cup squad ? I know he was in the esso coins world cup squad so he must have been close ,if you have any more info that would be good always pickled me

Alan was very unfortunate that England had a true World Class player,playing in the same position as himself,Bobby Moore.Had Moore not been about then I would say that Alan would almost certainly have got some caps,but then along came another superb left wing back ...Norman Hunter.
Alan was so unlucky to have been born at the same time as Moore,but its nothing to be ashamed of,coming a runner up to a superb player and Captain such as Bobby Moore.I know Alan and was with him a couple of weeks ago and he`s not the sort of bloke that would go around complaining,just not his nature.
So glad that both him and his cousin Glyn Pardoe were at the time with one of the most successful Clubs in Europe and both coming from my home town of Winsford.
As an aside, I will be playing dominoes and having a fair few pints of liquid refreshment later tonight,with Alans elder brother,Ken,who is one of my best mates,hence my "glowing" report on Alan.

Its interesting that you refer to him as a defender whilst others describe him as a midfield player. As I remember it both Oakes and Doyle started out as old fashioned wing halves in the days before back fours. During the 60's it became the norm for one of the wing halves to drop back to form a back four. I always thought that City couldn't really make their minds up whether that should be Oakes or Doyle. Both players tended to be shuttled backwards and forwards which didn't really help their international prospects.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I have heard a story that when he was Manager of Chester and Big Mal was sniffing around Ian Rush, Oakes told Rush he had to sign for the Mickeys and not us.

Can anybody add to this ?

My memory of that was that he recommended us to sign Rush but we let him slip through our hands & the rest is history

cibaman said:
oakiecokie said:
bluekeith said:
How close did Alan Oakes get to the 1970 world cup squad ? I know he was in the esso coins world cup squad so he must have been close ,if you have any more info that would be good always pickled me

Alan was very unfortunate that England had a true World Class player,playing in the same position as himself,Bobby Moore.Had Moore not been about then I would say that Alan would almost certainly have got some caps,but then along came another superb left wing back ...Norman Hunter.
Alan was so unlucky to have been born at the same time as Moore,but its nothing to be ashamed of,coming a runner up to a superb player and Captain such as Bobby Moore.I know Alan and was with him a couple of weeks ago and he`s not the sort of bloke that would go around complaining,just not his nature.
So glad that both him and his cousin Glyn Pardoe were at the time with one of the most successful Clubs in Europe and both coming from my home town of Winsford.
As an aside, I will be playing dominoes and having a fair few pints of liquid refreshment later tonight,with Alans elder brother,Ken,who is one of my best mates,hence my "glowing" report on Alan.

Its interesting that you refer to him as a defender whilst others describe him as a midfield player. As I remember it both Oakes and Doyle started out as old fashioned wing halves in the days before back fours. During the 60's it became the norm for one of the wing halves to drop back to form a back four. I always thought that City couldn't really make their minds up whether that should be Oakes or Doyle. Both players tended to be shuttled backwards and forwards which didn't really help their international prospects.

This is an interesting question. I was convinced that, more often than not, it was Doyle who continued with the midfield role whilst Oakes played in the back four alongside Booth but another Bluemooner challenged me on this. It is just so long ago now that all I can remember is that I regarded Pardoe and the two of them as the 'core of the core' of that great City side.

my favourite player of all time. the man had everything. Bell was a better player, Lee was more flash, Silva the best player to wear the shirt, but Alan was just a fantastic player, a committed blue that was mr consistency right through his very long career with us.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
WyongBlue said:
Remember Alan scoring against Middlesbrough in the 75/76 League Cup Semi, I was in the North Stand that night and it was a cracking goal he scored, he was a good midfielder who always put a shift no matter what, and it was pleasure to watch him play for City during the 70's..................

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXLc1CYZoqw[/video]

Great servant and player for City, no nonsense, modest, fine representative for our club. James Milner perhaps the closest we have at present to him.

Also have vague memories of Alan scoring a screamer from far out (into the goal at the North Stand end) in either the 1974-75 season or 1975-76 season against another team other than the semi final second leg game, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was against (or if I have recalled this correctly at all and it was Oakes)

Remember being sat in the platt lane stand one freezing wed night watching the reserves he was coming back from injury and he hit a ball from 20/30 yards out it hit the chair at the side of me and snapped the back off it ! Kin shit me self !! Lol

City1974 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
WyongBlue said:
Remember Alan scoring against Middlesbrough in the 75/76 League Cup Semi, I was in the North Stand that night and it was a cracking goal he scored, he was a good midfielder who always put a shift no matter what, and it was pleasure to watch him play for City during the 70's..................

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXLc1CYZoqw[/video]

Great servant and player for City, no nonsense, modest, fine representative for our club. James Milner perhaps the closest we have at present to him.

Also have vague memories of Alan scoring a screamer from far out (into the goal at the North Stand end) in either the 1974-75 season or 1975-76 season against another team other than the semi final second leg game, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was against (or if I have recalled this correctly at all and it was Oakes)

The other goal I was thinking of may have been v Spurs at home (2-1 win) in Dec 1975 that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, either that or v Coventry at Home also in Dec 1975 (4-2 win) or v Hartlepool at home in the FA Cup in Jan 1976 (6-0) win.

Are there any videos online about that show these goals ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.