Alan Shearer

SamTheGuru

Team supported
MCFC OK
On a bit of a football high now the season has started again, and I stumbled across one of Micah, Lineker and Shearer's programmes for an hour. Shearer is his normal self of course (if we would have done this, if we would have done that... etc),but it got me thinking....Is Shearer the biggest underachiever of all time? The question is always Henry, Shearer, or Aguero. But on top of Shearer's goal scoring instinct, he was also so dirty on the pitch. Henry and Sergio achieved so much, but did Shearer epically underachieve?

On a bit of a football high now the season has started again, and I stumbled across one of Micah, Lineker and Shearer's programmes for an hour. Shearer is his normal self of course (if we would have done this, if we would have done that... etc),but it got me thinking....Is Shearer the biggest underachiever of all time? The question is always Henry, Shearer, or Aguero. But on top of Shearer's goal scoring instinct, he was also so dirty on the pitch. Henry and Sergio achieved so much, but did Shearer epically underachieve?
Well, he certainly did in terms of trophies but as a player I struggle to see how he could do much more. His record is ridiculous despite some terrible injuries. The injury after a year at Newcastle took away all his speed for what should have been his prime years. He had to adjust his game and still scored tons more goals. Just so glad he never went to the rags or his numbers would have been so much better and good chance they’d have won even more.

Well, he certainly did in terms of trophies but as a player I struggle to see how he could do much more. His record is ridiculous despite some terrible injuries. The injury after a year at Newcastle took away all his speed for what should have been his prime years. He had to adjust his game and still scored tons more goals. Just so glad he never went to the rags or his numbers would have been so much better and good chance they’d have won even more.
Had he gone to United the trophy count would have been a lot more ...........

I mean he scored more goals than anybody else has done since the Premier League started. And second place isn’t even close.

Not sure how that can be considered under achievement, however you look at it?

I dont measure a players career by achievements, by winning stuff, by that measure we would have to ignore how good the likes of gascoigne, le tissier, etc were... The only thing they are guilty of is not playing for utd or arsenal or liverpool. You can play for those clubs and become a legend in football quite easily. Look at Mainoo career already, rated higher than Rico Lewis - Thats because he plays for a club that the media support.

Shearer was a monster, a natural goal scoring talent, wasnt even brilliant at the more technical side of football but scoring, he was out of this world. Sort of like Kane but even moreso. If Shearer had played for utd he would be known and celebrated much more. Nonetheless he was that good that his stats embarrass other players who just happened to play for the big clubs who get more media coverage.

I dont measure a players career by achievements, by winning stuff, by that measure we would have to ignore how good the likes of gascoigne, le tissier, etc were... The only thing they are guilty of is not playing for utd or arsenal or liverpool. You can play for those clubs and become a legend in football quite easily. Look at Mainoo career already, rated higher than Rico Lewis - Thats because he plays for a club that the media support.

Shearer was a monster, a natural goal scoring talent, wasnt even brilliant at the more technical side of football but scoring, he was out of this world. Sort of like Kane but even moreso. If Shearer had played for utd he would be known and celebrated much more. Nonetheless he was that good that his stats embarrass other players who just happened to play for the big clubs who get more media coverage.
That Scotsman once tried to sign Shearer. His answer was not too far off “Fuck off”

I'd go for baggio being the biggest underachiever ever. Won very little considering his talents, but then he missed the first 2 years of his career with 2 acl injuries. So it's incredible how good he became. Shearer probably the biggest underachiever in prem history

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.