Album of the day - Bob Dylan (MTV Unplugged)

BlueHammer85

53363-0088697124522.jpg

MTV Unplugged is a live album by Bob Dylan, released in 1995 by Columbia Records (reissued in 2007 by Sony). It documents Dylan's appearance on the then-highly popular MTV Unplugged television series, recorded at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 17 and 18, 1994. It gave Dylan his best sales in years, reaching US No. 23 and going gold, while hitting No. 10 in the UK.

The singer-songwriter had originally wanted to do a set of traditional folk songs. At MTV's behest, he instead performed mostly classics from his early albums.

1. Tombstone Blues
2. Shooting Star
3. All Along the Watchtower
4. The Times They Are A-Changin'
5. John Brown
6. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
7. Desolation Row
8. Dignity
9. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
10. Like a Rolling Stone
11. With God on Our Side

Bob's back again, this time its live and unplugged. I do enjoy these MTV unplugged concerts - more of a personal stripped down raw look at a artist - Nirvana did a classic set which is probably the most famous, REM, Noel Gallagher and Eric Clapton also did a memorable set for MTV. Anyway, Back to Mr Zimmerman - Dylan plays some of his most famous songs here and all in a different varied style to the original, Not uncommon for Dylan live. He often gets criticized for his live performances but here he sounds more upbeat and in good voice. 'Tombstone Blues' 'John Brown' and 'Like a Rolling Stone' are all done very well with a fast tempo pace and he really is enjoying himself - For me, this doesn't always work - i don't like the upbeat versions of 'Desolation Row' and 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' but these are his songs, and he can play and sing them whatever the way he feels like! especially after thousands of live tours. This is a solid live album from Dylan and pleasing that he is on fine form and does so many well known tracks, more so if your not a massive fan.

6.9/10

Would like to have posted 'Tombstone Blues' 'John Brown' or 'Like a Rolling Stone' - unfortunately this is the only track i can find on Youtube from this concert

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.