Alex Mcleish

Braggster

Alex Mcleish's post match thoughts are here: http://www.birminghammail.net/birmi...e-s-no-disgrace-in-5-1-defeat-97319-26221745/.

Have to say I think his analysis is spot on and very honest. If I were one of his players that is what I would want to hear after a game like that. Recognising that the team could have done better (and that so could he - refreshing honesty in his comment that he was at fault in not changing the tactics to combat Tevez), but not berating them as they were beaten by the better side.

He is an excellent manager, and will do well if the board back him appropriately. The one worry is, will they demand an improvement next year? Doing well creates a rod for your own back. They really need to let him develop the team slowly, and if they take a step backwards next year, not to panic or get rid in a knee jerk reaction.

He does say the pen was soft (granted it was) but even post match he didn't blame this that or the other he simply said he wanted a reaction from his team after such a performance..for me him and Roy Hodgson should be contenders for Manager of the season but you know it will be either Baconface or Anchelotti

Bluemoonbaldboy said:
He does say the pen was soft (granted it was) but even post match he didn't blame this that or the other he simply said he wanted a reaction from his team after such a performance..for me him and Roy Hodgson should be contenders for Manager of the season but you know it will be either Baconface or Anchelotti

+1, agree completely.

Although he's one of Baconface's mates, he comes across as a decent bloke and instead of having his tongue permanently stuck up Taggart's arse like certain other managers (Moyes, Allardyce, and Bruce) he just gets on with the job and as someone has already said, he doesn't focus too much on blaming all and sundry when things don't go their way.

Birmingham have had an excellent season IMO - the change of ownership seems to have galvanised the whole club into getting better results on the pitch, and McLeish can take huge credit for that. If you believe what's coming out of the club, they'll have a decent transfer kitty in the summer. The trouble is whether they stick or twist. I don't think McLeish should blow the whole lot in one big spending spree, and I don't expect him to either - best to add 2 or 3 good players to the squad and build it up bit by bit.

Braggster said:
The one worry is, will they demand an improvement next year? Doing well creates a rod for your own back. They really need to let him develop the team slowly, and if they take a step backwards next year, not to panic or get rid in a knee jerk reaction.

He said this himself after the draws with Liverpool in Arsenal. They've overachieved and it's not good for him as the owners will expect the same next year.
Might have a cheeky punt on them to go down, 'second season syndrome' and all that ;)

He has to keep us sweet if he wants any chance of getting big joe back next year! Done a great job this year but whenever i have seen birmingham they have looked better with mcfadden on the left and choochoo up front and even though he hasnt scored many he can be a handful. Will be difficult keeping a lid on expectations, especially with the money they have now. Lots of midlands clubs in the league next year.

Moyes could learn a lot from McLeish.

Funny game yesterday I thought, we probably deserved to win 5-1, but Birmingham certainly didn't deserve to lose 5-1 for me. I thought for the most they defended pretty well, but were pretty toothless upfront.

I thought once we were 2-0 up we'd won, because we don't concede many, and they don't score many.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.